Cindy

Default File - New; Word 2002

Hi Gang:
I recently bought a rather expensive book on Word 2002, in the hopes of
improving my skills, given the fact that I have been directed to support our
computer users.
The book states that when you choose New from the File menu, it will Open
the New dialog box on the General tab. I assume this is the Templates
window.
When I perform this activity, File, New displays the New Document task pane,
and I need to click General Templates to get to the screen they are talking
about.
Is there a setting somewhere, outside of the registry to change this
behaviour? Or is the author incorrect and just took a Word 97 book, made
some changes to it and passed it off as brand new work?
Thanks
Cindy

Your latter guess is undoubtedly correct: the book you bought was evidently
written for Word 2000 and earlier and not properly updated for Word 2002.
File | New in Word 2002 does *not* open the New dialog by default. But yes,
you can customize it to do this by substituting the FileNewDialog command.
For more on this, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

"Cindy" wrote in message
[...]

Cindy

Thank you Suzanne, for confirming my thoughts and helping me maintain my
sanity under somewhat trying circumstances. Having read further, I have
found more references that lead me to believe it is just a poorly reworked
book.
And I would mention whose book it is, but since I work for a law firm, I am
very well aware of potential litigation, sorry folks.

"Cindy" wrote in message
[...]

I can't imagine any legal restrictions that prevent reviewing books. Though,
if I had to guess, based on recent performance, I would suggest that the
authors might be those who publish well-known online newsletters about
Office. g

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Your latter guess is undoubtedly correct: the book you bought was

evidently
written for Word 2000 and earlier and not properly updated for Word

2002.
File | New in Word 2002 does *not* open the New dialog by default. But

yes,
you can customize it to do this by substituting the FileNewDialog

command.
For more on this, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cindy" wrote in message
[...]

JohnR

But I'll bet if you bring that book back to the store & complain loudly
enough, you'll get your money back!!! Which you can bet that I'd do.
John

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Your latter guess is undoubtedly correct: the book you bought was
evidently
written for Word 2000 and earlier and not properly updated for Word 2002.
File | New in Word 2002 does *not* open the New dialog by default. But
yes,
you can customize it to do this by substituting the FileNewDialog
command.
For more on this, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm

so
all may benefit.

"Cindy" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Cindy

I don't care about litigation!

If it was Special Edition - Using Microsoft Office XP then I agree with
Suzanne. It was probably the MOST disappointing book I have read from the
authors and I am loathe to buy anything from them again. As Suzanne as
suggests, it was a badly reworked version of their book. It was rushed out
to print, is full of inaccuracies and just doesn't flow.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Cindy" wrote in message
: Thank you Suzanne, for confirming my thoughts and helping me maintain my
: sanity under somewhat trying circumstances. Having read further, I have
: found more references that lead me to believe it is just a poorly reworked
: book.
: And I would mention whose book it is, but since I work for a law firm, I
am
: very well aware of potential litigation, sorry folks.
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
: Your latter guess is undoubtedly correct: the book you bought was
evidently
: written for Word 2000 and earlier and not properly updated for Word
2002.
: File | New in Word 2002 does *not* open the New dialog by default. But
yes,
: you can customize it to do this by substituting the FileNewDialog
command.
: For more on this, see
: http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Cindy" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

That's what I was thinking. There are too many good books out there to waste
money on poor ones.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Cindy" wrote in message
[...]

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Yikes - I have the Office 2003 version!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]
: "Cindy" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Yeah, I actually bought that one and was quite disappointed, but in fact I
just checked and page 476 says, "Choose File, New, click General
Templates..." So I guess it's not the culprit, but Special Edition - Using
Word 2002 still could be!

: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
[...]
: "Cindy" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

Cindy shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

Thank you Suzanne, for confirming my thoughts and helping me maintain
my sanity under somewhat trying circumstances. Having read further,
I have found more references that lead me to believe it is just a
poorly reworked book.
And I would mention whose book it is, but since I work for a law
firm, I am very well aware of potential litigation, sorry folks.

To avoid litigation, you could apply ROT13 encoding (http://rot13.com)
on your message. And if you don't like that either, apply ROT13 on the
message below:

Znvy gur obbx gvgyr gb zr, nabalzbhfyl, sebz lbhe ubzr rznvy nqqerff vs
lbh jnag, naq V jvyy zragvba vg urer, jvgubhg dhbgvat lbh nf zl fbhepr.
V pnaabg or sbeprq gb qvfpybfr zl fbheprf. ;-)
Zl rznvy nqqerff vf nalguvat lbh yvxr ng zl svefg anzr va gur Orytvna
qbznva.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.4.1