Scribe

Default styles creeping in. How to get rid of?

I have styles creeping in to my template that are driving me crazy. For
example, a Normal style morphs into Normal Char and then another appears,
Normal Char 1. I have turned off the "Define styles as you type" option for
AutoFormat but this doesn't seem to help. How to I stop this from happening?
My style sheet is getting huge.
garfield-n-odie

"Char" styles are created when a user selects part of a paragraph (but
not the whole paragraph) and applies a paragraph style (such as "Normal"
or "Heading 1") to it. To stop this from happening, educate the user.

Scribe wrote:

I have styles creeping in to my template that are driving me crazy. For
example, a Normal style morphs into Normal Char and then another appears,
Normal Char 1. I have turned off the "Define styles as you type" option for
AutoFormat but this doesn't seem to help. How to I stop this from happening?
My style sheet is getting huge.

RP2chil

Can you please elaborate on "educate the user" - How do we get rid of it?

This link here that was given as a fix - could someone translate in more
dummies version. Just need more details.:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl Thanks very
much:

--
- RP -

Scribe wrote:

I have styles creeping in to my template that are driving me crazy. For
example, a Normal style morphs into Normal Char and then another appears,
Normal Char 1. I have turned off the "Define styles as you type" option for
AutoFormat but this doesn't seem to help. How to I stop this from happening?
My style sheet is getting huge.

RP2chil

Suzanne, so what is the fix for this, is there any? To get rid of Char's and
keep everything in tact? Or is this an MS Word Bug that cannot be fixed
until future fixes or upgrades.
--
- RP -

Scribe wrote:

I have styles creeping in to my template that are driving me crazy.

For
example, a Normal style morphs into Normal Char and then another

appears,
Normal Char 1. I have turned off the "Define styles as you type"

option for
AutoFormat but this doesn't seem to help. How to I stop this from

happening?
My style sheet is getting huge.

I believe that one of the service packs for Word 2002 was supposed to
alleviate this. Once you get the Char styles, they're extremely difficult to
eradicate: you can delete them, but then the related paragraph style is also
deleted, and every paragraph in that style returns to Normal. Cindy Meister
has a macro for deleting Char styles at

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Train users not to select part of a paragraph when applying styles.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.