LeAnn

Default Graphic refresh/Other oddities

I have Word 2003 SP1 installed on a new computer with 1 GB of ram. I have
noticed that Word has frequent refresh issues. Some examples a

Inserting graphics appear upon insert but if I toggle away, graphic is blank
until I hit return.
Pagination doesn't refresh properly at times
My 1/2 my cursor stays in old location when I click a new location
Outline numbering has exerienced very odd refreshing (which was very
alarming at first - everything renumbered incorrectly).

Some things seem to correct themselves if I minimize and maximum. The
numbering corrected itself when I went into the number dialog box and then
closed it.

Are these known issues?

Thanks
LeAnn
garfield-n-odie

Try reducing the hardware acceleration setting in Start | Control Panel

LeAnn wrote:

I have Word 2003 SP1 installed on a new computer with 1 GB of ram. I have
noticed that Word has frequent refresh issues. Some examples a

Inserting graphics appear upon insert but if I toggle away, graphic is blank
until I hit return.
Pagination doesn't refresh properly at times
My 1/2 my cursor stays in old location when I click a new location
Outline numbering has exerienced very odd refreshing (which was very
alarming at first - everything renumbered incorrectly).

Some things seem to correct themselves if I minimize and maximum. The
numbering corrected itself when I went into the number dialog box and then
closed it.

Are these known issues?

Thanks
LeAnn

Graham Mayor

These are problems typical of a poor screen driver. Check the display
adapter manufacturer's web site for an update (or see Garfield's reply for a
workaround). Some Intel and ATI drivers appear to be the worst offenders,
but there are updates for both.

LeAnn wrote:

I have Word 2003 SP1 installed on a new computer with 1 GB of ram.
I have noticed that Word has frequent refresh issues. Some examples

Inserting graphics appear upon insert but if I toggle away, graphic
is blank until I hit return.
Pagination doesn't refresh properly at times
My 1/2 my cursor stays in old location when I click a new location
Outline numbering has exerienced very odd refreshing (which was very
alarming at first - everything renumbered incorrectly).

Some things seem to correct themselves if I minimize and maximum.
The numbering corrected itself when I went into the number dialog
box and then closed it.

Are these known issues?

Thanks
LeAnn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JamesDart JamesDart is offline

Would this problem happen when running 2 screens off the same driver as well?
I am assuming the answer is "yes" but I wanted to get more information
before running out and buying a new driver or shiver run only one monitor
while on this project.

LeAnn wrote:

I have Word 2003 SP1 installed on a new computer with 1 GB of ram.
I have noticed that Word has frequent refresh issues. Some examples

Inserting graphics appear upon insert but if I toggle away, graphic
is blank until I hit return.
Pagination doesn't refresh properly at times
My 1/2 my cursor stays in old location when I click a new location
Outline numbering has exerienced very odd refreshing (which was very
alarming at first - everything renumbered incorrectly).

Some things seem to correct themselves if I minimize and maximum.
The numbering corrected itself when I went into the number dialog
box and then closed it.

Are these known issues?

Thanks
LeAnn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is not the display adapter that is the problem but the driver software -
check with the manufacturer for updates.

LeAnn wrote:

I have Word 2003 SP1 installed on a new computer with 1 GB of ram.
I have noticed that Word has frequent refresh issues. Some
examples a

Inserting graphics appear upon insert but if I toggle away, graphic
is blank until I hit return.
Pagination doesn't refresh properly at times
My 1/2 my cursor stays in old location when I click a new location
Outline numbering has exerienced very odd refreshing (which was
very alarming at first - everything renumbered incorrectly).

Some things seem to correct themselves if I minimize and maximum.
The numbering corrected itself when I went into the number dialog
box and then closed it.

Are these known issues?

Thanks
LeAnn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JamesDart JamesDart is offline

Ah, okay. Thank you for the response.

I changed my view to "Draft" which disables the Footer and Header, and my
problem seems to have gone away for the time being.

I am also seeing what parts of the document I can pull out into separate
Documents that be hyperlinked to.

I've never written a Manual before and this is a daunting process, but after
reading information on the Forums, Consuming "Word 2007: Step by Step" and
"2007 Microsoft Office System: Inside Out", i've learned tons about this
amazing program.

LeAnn wrote:

I have Word 2003 SP1 installed on a new computer with 1 GB of ram.
I have noticed that Word has frequent refresh issues. Some
examples a

Inserting graphics appear upon insert but if I toggle away, graphic
is blank until I hit return.
Pagination doesn't refresh properly at times
My 1/2 my cursor stays in old location when I click a new location
Outline numbering has exerienced very odd refreshing (which was
very alarming at first - everything renumbered incorrectly).

Some things seem to correct themselves if I minimize and maximum.
The numbering corrected itself when I went into the number dialog
box and then closed it.

Are these known issues?

Thanks
LeAnn

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you especially like the "Step by Step" and "Inside Out" series?
I've found "Using" the most useful for me, and "Bible" next, and "for
Dummies" not helpful.

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com