TS in FL

Default First Record's Letter Missing after Letter Merge

I am using Word 2002.

After I merge a letter from either Excel or Access, my first record is
missing from the merged document, i.e., if I tell it to merge records 1
through 10, the merged document contains letters for records 2 through 10.
This occurs whether I use the edit mail merge recipients list, and only check
records 1 thru 10, or whether I select "merge to new document" on the toolbar
and tell it to merge from 1 to 10.

BTW, there are no NEXT or NEXT RECORD fields in the main document.

Why is this??

TS in FL

In the Excel spreadsheet, the first row was the field labels (First Name,
Last Name, etc.). I no longer use that document, by the way. I imported
the data into an Access database, so the data now comes from a select query
that is linked to the main merge document. But merging from either
datasource produced the same problem.

TS in FL wrote:
I am using Word 2002.

After I merge a letter from either Excel or Access, my first record is
missing from the merged document, i.e., if I tell it to merge records
1 through 10, the merged document contains letters for records 2
through 10. This occurs whether I use the edit mail merge recipients
list, and only check records 1 thru 10, or whether I select "merge to
new document" on the toolbar and tell it to merge from 1 to 10.

BTW, there are no NEXT or NEXT RECORD fields in the main document.

Why is this??

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?VFMgaW4gRkw=?=,

I am using Word 2002.

After I merge a letter from either Excel or Access, my first record is
missing from the merged document, i.e., if I tell it to merge records 1
through 10, the merged document contains letters for records 2 through 10.
This occurs whether I use the edit mail merge recipients list, and only check
records 1 thru 10, or whether I select "merge to new document" on the toolbar
and tell it to merge from 1 to 10.

And if you let it merge ALL records? Are you able to VIEW the first record in
the main merge document?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org