garfield-n-odie

Insert a { STYLEREF } field into the footer.

sotto wrote:

Hi,

i want in my page-footers, the current H1 and/or H2 titles to be displayed.
I can find Current page-number, title-field from the files-properties, but
not the current Title.

Is this possible at all, and if so, can you please guide me?

i'm using MS Word 2003

thanks,
sotto

sotto

Thanks,

Found it, but as always it's not perfect yet.

My document is structured like this:

titlepage
TOC (h1)
part1 (part-style)
title 1 (h1)
title 2 (h2
part 2 (part-style)

I have set up the part-style to have a pagebreak before and margin-top that
makes it sit in middle of the page.

h1 has also pagebreak before set up.
(so i have a blank page with only the part title to seperate the document
well)

now, when i put { STYLEREF "part-style" } - { STYLEREF "h1" } in the footer
of the part2-blankpage, i get "part 2 - title 2", where title 2 comes from
part 1.

Is there a way to tell the styleref to not display the h1 if he just read a
part-style?

I hope you can understand what the problem is here ...

thanks,
sotto

sotto wrote:

Hi,

i want in my page-footers, the current H1 and/or H2 titles to be

displayed.
I can find Current page-number, title-field from the files-properties,

but
not the current Title.

Is this possible at all, and if so, can you please guide me?

i'm using MS Word 2003

thanks,
sotto

garfield-n-odie

No, that's how the STYLEREF field is designed to function. If you put a
{ STYLEREF "h2" } field in the footer, the field will show the text of
the nearest preceding h2. Although it is possible to construct a
conditional field using an { IF } field, I can't think of a way to do
that with your particular situation.

sotto wrote:

Hi,

i want in my page-footers, the current H1 and/or H2 titles to be

displayed.

I can find Current page-number, title-field from the files-properties,

but

not the current Title.

Is this possible at all, and if so, can you please guide me?

i'm using MS Word 2003

thanks,
sotto

garfield-n-odie

Hmmm... Either I don't quite understand what you're saying, or I don't
quite understand what the OP is asking. If I understand the OP correctly:
1. he created paragraph styles named "h1" and "h2", both formatted
with "page break before",
2. he created a footer containing "{styleref "h1"} - { styleref "h2"}",
3. some pages in the document only have "h1" text,
4. the remaining pages in the document have "h2" text and other
text, but no "h1" text,
5. on pages with only "h1" text, he wants the footer to only show
the "h1" text from that page and not show the "h2" text from a preceding
page, and
6. on pages with "h2" text, he wants the footer to show both the
"h1" text from a preceding page and the "h2" text from the current page.

How would a character style help?

Graham Mayor wrote:

How about creating a character style with a unique name and applying that to
the part you wish to call using a STYLEREF field?

sotto

hi again,

the {IF}-way seems a bit ... euhm... complicated for what i need... maybe as
a last resort.

When playing with my document I suddenly had two different page-footers
throughout my document. I found out it to be caused by having different
sections.
I'm thinking this could be the key to a solution.
Can somebody confirm this?
i will try to look further into sections then, because i never used them
before.

thanks again

sotto wrote:

Hi,

i want in my page-footers, the current H1 and/or H2 titles to be

displayed.

I can find Current page-number, title-field from the files-properties,

but

not the current Title.

Is this possible at all, and if so, can you please guide me?

i'm using MS Word 2003

thanks,
sotto

Graham Mayor

OK, sorry, I misunderstood

sotto wrote:
This is indeed a description of the situation.

sotto (OP)

"garfield-n-odie" wrote in
message ...