Hilary Ostrov

Default Questions re Word 2003 File-New ("Other")

OK, so I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Office 2000 to 2003
(Pro SP1) on Win XP (SP2). I've figured out how to: a) stop task pane
from appearing on Word startup; b) get rid of the damn pane without
mousing around [Ctrl+F1 is a two-way street!]; and c) bypass it
completely when creating a new document from one of many templates I
use.

But what I cannot seem to overcome is the default large icon view
(rather than the more practical "List" or "Details") when I get to
"New". Is this an annoyance I must learn to live with, or is there a
workaround that will make either of my preferred views "stick"? Also,
is there some way of changing the size of the "New" window?

Thanks.
hro
--
myssiwyg* ... making your support systems improve what you get!
http://www.myssiwyg.ca/

JR

Im not sure that I understand your question, but at least a partial
workaround for the "new", might be to change the normal.dot template
A starting point maybe???

John

"Hilary Ostrov" wrote in message
[...]

No, the File New window (unlike Open and Save) is not resizable, nor can the
Large Icons display be permanently changed (except perhaps with VBA). One
workaround for the large icons, however, is to create more tabs (folders) so
that each tab displays all the templates therein. Obviously, this will not
be helpful if you have a huge number of templates, but at least you can put
the most frequently used ones on less-populated tabs (and with creative
naming, they will sort to the top).

[...]

Hilary Ostrov

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 06:20:34 +0300, in
, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

You will have to live with it.

Awww ... that's what I was afraid of! I was hoping there might be
some VBA code - or registry tweak - that might do the trick. But,
thanks for the confirmation, anyway!

hro
--
myssiwyg* ... making your support systems improve what you get!
http://www.myssiwyg.ca/

Hilary Ostrov

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:47:40 -0500, in
, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

No, the File New window (unlike Open and Save) is not resizable, nor can the
Large Icons display be permanently changed (except perhaps with VBA).

I guess, as Graham said, I shall have to live with it. I tried
dabbling in VBA but didn't see anything that jumped out at me as the
path to a solution. This isn't really critical, obviously ... but
it's the *principle* ... to paraphrase a line from My Fair Lady: "Why
can't a New be more like an Open?"

One
workaround for the large icons, however, is to create more tabs (folders) so
that each tab displays all the templates therein. Obviously, this will not
be helpful if you have a huge number of templates, but at least you can put
the most frequently used ones on less-populated tabs (and with creative
naming, they will sort to the top).

Already had several tabs set up! I suppose one should be grateful for
small mercies, in that while view list or details doesn't stick during
a Word session, it will at least stick from tab to tab

hro
--
myssiwyg* ... making your support systems improve what you get!
http://www.myssiwyg.ca/
TF

Don't forget that you can remove some of the MS imposed tabs to make more
room from your own tabs. You need to go through Add/Remove Programs and
uninstall the Templates and Wizards that you don't want.

: wrote:
:
[...]
: --
: myssiwyg* ... making your support systems improve what you get!
: http://www.myssiwyg.ca/

Hilary Ostrov

First of all, sorry for previous post with no additional content ...
cat interfered while I was mousing around and I clicked wrong button;
tried to cancel post, but it may have been too late.

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:26:56 +0100, in
, "TF"
terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:

Don't forget that you can remove some of the MS imposed tabs to make more
room from your own tabs. You need to go through Add/Remove Programs and
uninstall the Templates and Wizards that you don't want.

Thanks, Terry ... however it's not the room I was hoping to get, but a
permanent better view

"Hilary Ostrov" wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:47:40 -0500, in
: , "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: wrote:

[...]

: One
: workaround for the large icons, however, is to create more tabs (folders)
so
: that each tab displays all the templates therein. Obviously, this will
not
: be helpful if you have a huge number of templates, but at least you can
put
: the most frequently used ones on less-populated tabs (and with creative
: naming, they will sort to the top).

: Already had several tabs set up! I suppose one should be grateful for
: small mercies, in that while view list or details doesn't stick during
: a Word session, it will at least stick from tab to tab

hro
--
myssiwyg* ... making your support systems improve what you get!
http://www.myssiwyg.ca/
TF

Unfortunately, the File, New dialog is one of those inflexible dialogs.
About the only option is to move it around the screen!

Terry

"Hilary Ostrov" wrote in message
: First of all, sorry for previous post with no additional content ...
: cat interfered while I was mousing around and I clicked wrong button;
: tried to cancel post, but it may have been too late.
:
: On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:26:56 +0100, in
: , "TF"
: terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote:
:
: Don't forget that you can remove some of the MS imposed tabs to make more
: room from your own tabs. You need to go through Add/Remove Programs and
: uninstall the Templates and Wizards that you don't want.
:
: Thanks, Terry ... however it's not the room I was hoping to get, but a
: permanent better view
:
: "Hilary Ostrov" wrote in message
: .. .
: : On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:47:40 -0500, in
: : , "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
: : wrote:
:
: [...]