Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com

Default Microsoft Word 2000 Date Field

I am having problems with a date field and wondered if anyone could help.
When reopening a document I want to retain the date the document was
created.

I've tried createdate, but this doesn't change the date at all (even when
printing). Using CREATEDATE produced the following format:
{ CREATEDATE \@ "d MMMM YYYY" \* mergeformat }.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

JR

Instead of using date field, go to Insert-Date/Time. Pick the format you
want then UNCHECK the automatic update box in the lower right portion of the
dialog box.

John

"Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com" wrote in
message ...
I am having problems with a date field and wondered if anyone could help.
When reopening a document I want to retain the date the document was
created.

I've tried createdate, but this doesn't change the date at all (even when
printing). Using CREATEDATE produced the following format:
{ CREATEDATE \@ "d MMMM YYYY" \* mergeformat }.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com

Thanks for your response. I don't think I came across very well. What I'm
trying to achieve is:

In a particular document there might be 60 or 70 different letters. Come
two weeks later, we may need to send copies to different people but we need
to keep the original date the letters were sent in the first instance. I
understand I can lock the fields but what built-in date option is the best
to use so that when I open the document it retains the original date, ie:
date, createdate (which I understand is a locked field), time, etc.

Also, does anyone know of a simple macro that highlights the date field and
changes it to the date required.

The CreateDate field seems to be what you want. Is your issue only that you
are seeing the field code rather than the field results? Alt+F9 to toggle
this in the document as displayed. If the field code is actually printing,
clear the check box for "Field codes" on the Print tab of Tools | Options.

"Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com" wrote in
message ...
I am having problems with a date field and wondered if anyone could help.
When reopening a document I want to retain the date the document was
created.

I've tried createdate, but this doesn't change the date at all (even when
printing). Using CREATEDATE produced the following format:
{ CREATEDATE \@ "d MMMM YYYY" \* mergeformat }.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com

Hi Suzanne

Thank you for your response.

The issue is that when I open an old document it opens with the current
date - I don't want this to happen - I want it to open with the original
date. However, if I decide to print the old document - I want it to print
with the current date and not the original date.

Sandra

Graham Mayor

Update the field (F9). It will show the date the document was created unless
the document has been saved as ... with a new filename, whereupon the
ctreatedate is the saveas date

If you want to print with a different date you'll have to change the field
back again.

Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com wrote:
Hi Suzanne

Thank you for your response.

The issue is that when I open an old document it opens with the
current date - I don't want this to happen - I want it to open with
the original date. However, if I decide to print the old document -
I want it to print with the current date and not the original date.

Sandra

Sandra Jackson via OfficeKB.com

Thanks, Graham, but which field do I use?

Sandra

Graham Mayor

Createdate shows the date the doc was created. Date shows the system date.