steepcreep

Default How to display multiple docs in a single word window?

How does one display multiple documents ie. cascade/tile in a single instance
(open window) of word? Similar to excel. For example, you have two docs open
and a tab bar at the bottom of the window (not the taskbar) which allows you
to switch between the active document. I am especially thinking about tiling
2 docs so that I can use the tools from a single word window as two open word
windows consumes considerable real estate on ones screen. Thanks.
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:31:03 -0700, "steepcreep"
wrote:

How does one display multiple documents ie. cascade/tile in a single instance
(open window) of word? Similar to excel. For example, you have two docs open
and a tab bar at the bottom of the window (not the taskbar) which allows you
to switch between the active document. I am especially thinking about tiling
2 docs so that I can use the tools from a single word window as two open word
windows consumes considerable real estate on ones screen. Thanks.

It's always a good idea to mention what version of Word you have. In
this case it makes a big difference.

For Word 2002 or 2003, go to Tools Options View and uncheck the
box for "Windows in Taskbar". You still won't get a tab bar, but you
can use the Window menu or the Ctrl+F6 combination to switch between
documents, or just mouse-click from one to the other.

For Word 2000, it's quite difficult to get that effect. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/SDIMDI.htm for an
explanation and a link to a solution.

If you had Word 97 you wouldn't be asking, because that's the only way
that version works.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
steepcreep

Thank you very much Jay, I appreciate the prompt reply.

You most certainly are an mvp! I thank you for that link. I had no idea of
the existence of such place. It looks like I'll be spending some time there,
exploring.

You are correct sir I should have given the particulars in my question, I
apologize. For those who follow seeking an answer to this MDI problem, the
version in question was Word 2003 (v. 11).

I can live without document tabs. After a few hours of searching for an
answer, I'm not surprised that the solution was so simple. This will my work
much easier.

Once again thank you for your kindness.

sc.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

It's always a good idea to mention what version of Word you have. In
this case it makes a big difference.

For Word 2002 or 2003, go to Tools Options View and uncheck the
box for "Windows in Taskbar". You still won't get a tab bar, but you
can use the Window menu or the Ctrl+F6 combination to switch between
documents, or just mouse-click from one to the other.

For Word 2000, it's quite difficult to get that effect. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/SDIMDI.htm for an
explanation and a link to a solution.

If you had Word 97 you wouldn't be asking, because that's the only way
that version works.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

You're certainly welcome.

BTW, there is an add-in that will give you something like document
tabs, plus a lot more, at http://www.wordtoys.com/. You can download a
30 day trial version. I haven't tried it, but the author, Romke
Soldaat, is the same genius who wrote the Word 2000 workaround
mentioned in the MVPs article.
--
Regards,
Jay Freedman