Katie

Default Protecting Documents in Word 2003

I am a a new user of Word 2003 and have been trying to protect an ordinary
document (not a form). I find that all the options are greyed out on the
Protect Document taskpane and I'm not able to do anything. Does anybody know
why?
--
Katie
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2F0aWU=?=,

I am a a new user of Word 2003 and have been trying to protect an ordinary
document (not a form). I find that all the options are greyed out on the
Protect Document taskpane and I'm not able to do anything. Does anybody know
why?

Is the document set up for mail merge, by any chance?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Katie

No it isn't. It's just an ordinary document.
--
Katie

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S2F0aWU=?=,

I am a a new user of Word 2003 and have been trying to protect an ordinary
document (not a form). I find that all the options are greyed out on the
Protect Document taskpane and I'm not able to do anything. Does anybody know
why?

Is the document set up for mail merge, by any chance?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2F0aWU=?=,

No it isn't. It's just an ordinary document.
--

Hmmm. So, you can't even tick a checkbox on this task pane?

How about if you hold down CTRL when starting Word, then test with the new document
Word generates?

I am a a new user of Word 2003 and have been trying to protect an ordinary
document (not a form). I find that all the options are greyed out on the
Protect Document taskpane and I'm not able to do anything. Does anybody know
why?

Is the document set up for mail merge, by any chance?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Katie

Hi Cindy,

I've tried that but the protection works fine for new documents without
holding down CTRL. It doesn't want to work for existing documents.
--
Katie

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S2F0aWU=?=,

No it isn't. It's just an ordinary document.
--

Hmmm. So, you can't even tick a checkbox on this task pane?

How about if you hold down CTRL when starting Word, then test with the new document
Word generates?

I am a a new user of Word 2003 and have been trying to protect an ordinary
document (not a form). I find that all the options are greyed out on the
Protect Document taskpane and I'm not able to do anything. Does anybody know
why?

Is the document set up for mail merge, by any chance?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2F0aWU=?=,

I've tried that but the protection works fine for new documents without
holding down CTRL. It doesn't want to work for existing documents.

Try copying all but the last paragraph mark to a new document. Can you now
protect the new document?