brecooke

Default Renaming Styles

I created a template with Level 01 headings,Text, etc. For some reason,
every style is now being shown as "Default Paragraph Font Para Char Char."
The formatting is correct, the display name is just "Default Paragraph Font
Para Char Char." When I go to Tools/Templates and Add-ins/Organizer, it
appears as a style, but Word won't let me rename it or delete it. When I
click on another tab besides Styles (Auto Text, etc.) and then come back to
Styles, the style is gone altogether. Then back in the document, all the
styles appear just fine. It appears to be fixed. However, after saving and
closing the document, the Default Paragraph Font Para Char Char reappears
when I open the file again.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YnJlY29va2U=?=,

I created a template with Level 01 headings,Text, etc. For some reason,
every style is now being shown as "Default Paragraph Font Para Char Char."
The formatting is correct, the display name is just "Default Paragraph Font
Para Char Char." When I go to Tools/Templates and Add-ins/Organizer, it
appears as a style, but Word won't let me rename it or delete it. When I
click on another tab besides Styles (Auto Text, etc.) and then come back to
Styles, the style is gone altogether. Then back in the document, all the
styles appear just fine. It appears to be fixed. However, after saving and
closing the document, the Default Paragraph Font Para Char Char reappears
when I open the file again.

This is Word 2002 or 2003, I take it?

What you're seeing is an internal linking going on between a paragraph and a
character style. Usually, this happens when you've selected text within a
paragraph and applied a paragraph style to it. The only way to "get rid of it"
is to just not DO that. And when it happens with built-in, "default" Word
styles, it's almost impossible to get rid of in a document, short of copying
and pasting as plain text into a new document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

brecooke

Thanks, Cindy. (It is Word 2003.) I just want to make sure it won't affect
the document from a functional standpoint. For instance, when I print it or
create a TOC, will everything still work as usual?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YnJlY29va2U=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YnJlY29va2U=?=,

I just want to make sure it won't affect
the document from a functional standpoint. For instance, when I print it or
create a TOC, will everything still work as usual?

My gut feeling is, yes. But no guarantees :-)