mtanner427

Default How do I stop jerking of Word in outline view?

When I use Word 2003 in outline view the screen jerks erratically up and
down. When I switch to print view, it stops. I am using XP Home on a Dell
Inspiron 4150, but have had the same problem on an older desktop.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

When I use Word 2003 in outline view the screen jerks erratically up and
down. When I switch to print view, it stops. I am using XP Home on a Dell
Inspiron 4150, but have had the same problem on an older desktop.

Unfortunately, you don't describe under what circumstances you're seeing this,
but... There are really only two things you can try to "settle things down":

1. Upate the graphics card driver

2. Reduce the hardware acceleration on the machine

However, no guarantees since we don't actually know what it is you're
seeing...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

mtanner427

Thanks. I tried both and neither worked. What I have noticed since posting
the original message is that the problem is actually in the outlining toolbar
when I have a document opened in Word using the outline view. It is the
toolbar that is flickering. When I remove the outlining toolbar, the problem
goes away. Of course, the outline view isn't much good without the toolbar.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

When I use Word 2003 in outline view the screen jerks erratically up and
down. When I switch to print view, it stops. I am using XP Home on a Dell
Inspiron 4150, but have had the same problem on an older desktop.

Unfortunately, you don't describe under what circumstances you're seeing this,
but... There are really only two things you can try to "settle things down":

1. Upate the graphics card driver

2. Reduce the hardware acceleration on the machine

However, no guarantees since we don't actually know what it is you're
seeing...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

Thanks. I tried both and neither worked. What I have noticed since posting
the original message is that the problem is actually in the outlining toolbar
when I have a document opened in Word using the outline view. It is the
toolbar that is flickering. When I remove the outlining toolbar, the problem
goes away. Of course, the outline view isn't much good without the toolbar.

Can you be more precise what you mean by "flickering"? Does it appear/disappear?
Do the buttons change position? Or...?

What are you doing when this flickering occurs? Just staring at the monitor?
Typing? Moving between documents? Or...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

mtanner427

"Flickering" means appearing and disappearing very quickly. Also, when I
uncheck the box for the outlining tool bar and return to the screen, the
outling toolbar comes back and continues flickering. The buttons don't seem
to be changing position. But the appearing and disappearing of the outling
toolbar makes the rest of the Word screen change size rapidly to accommodate
the toolbar.

When the flickering occurs, I am just staring at the screen. Nothing I do
other than selecting the outline view seems to affect the flickering.

Thanks, again.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

Thanks. I tried both and neither worked. What I have noticed since posting
the original message is that the problem is actually in the outlining toolbar
when I have a document opened in Word using the outline view. It is the
toolbar that is flickering. When I remove the outlining toolbar, the problem
goes away. Of course, the outline view isn't much good without the toolbar.

Can you be more precise what you mean by "flickering"? Does it appear/disappear?
Do the buttons change position? Or...?

What are you doing when this flickering occurs? Just staring at the monitor?
Typing? Moving between documents? Or...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

"Flickering" means appearing and disappearing very quickly. Also, when I
uncheck the box for the outlining tool bar and return to the screen, the
outling toolbar comes back and continues flickering. The buttons don't seem
to be changing position. But the appearing and disappearing of the outling
toolbar makes the rest of the Word screen change size rapidly to accommodate
the toolbar.

When the flickering occurs, I am just staring at the screen. Nothing I do
other than selecting the outline view seems to affect the flickering.

Never heard of anything like this before and yes, I'd find it extremely
annoying. I'd have probably thrown the monitor out the window, as a matter of
fact...

OK. If you hold start Word in SAFE MODE (hold down the CTRL button when
starting Word 2002 or 2003), does the problem still occur?

If it does, how about when starting WINDOWS in Safe Mode?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

mtanner427

Thanks. I have isolated the problem to a program called EndNote, which
integrates a database of bibliographic citations into Word. The flickering
only occurs in documents that contain fields from the EndNote program. Now I
know who to call. Thanks for you help.

"mtanner427" wrote:

"Flickering" means appearing and disappearing very quickly. Also, when I
uncheck the box for the outlining tool bar and return to the screen, the
outling toolbar comes back and continues flickering. The buttons don't seem
to be changing position. But the appearing and disappearing of the outling
toolbar makes the rest of the Word screen change size rapidly to accommodate
the toolbar.

When the flickering occurs, I am just staring at the screen. Nothing I do
other than selecting the outline view seems to affect the flickering.

Thanks, again.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

Thanks. I tried both and neither worked. What I have noticed since posting
the original message is that the problem is actually in the outlining toolbar
when I have a document opened in Word using the outline view. It is the
toolbar that is flickering. When I remove the outlining toolbar, the problem
goes away. Of course, the outline view isn't much good without the toolbar.

Can you be more precise what you mean by "flickering"? Does it appear/disappear?
Do the buttons change position? Or...?

What are you doing when this flickering occurs? Just staring at the monitor?
Typing? Moving between documents? Or...?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

I have isolated the problem to a program called EndNote, which
integrates a database of bibliographic citations into Word. The flickering
only occurs in documents that contain fields from the EndNote program. Now I
know who to call.

Thanks for letting me know :-)

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi, did anyone ever get an answer to why endnote does this? thanks, JF
--
JRF

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,

I have isolated the problem to a program called EndNote, which
integrates a database of bibliographic citations into Word. The flickering
only occurs in documents that contain fields from the EndNote program. Now I
know who to call.

Thanks for letting me know :-)

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Contact whoever it is that sells Endnote. Seems like it's a bit buggy.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

" wrote in
message ...
Hi, did anyone ever get an answer to why endnote does this? thanks, JF
--
JRF

Hi ?B?bXRhbm5lcjQyNw==?=,