Lenea

Default Retrieve the original document after saving over it?

In a word doc I typed changes then forgot to save it as a new document - is
it possible to retrieve the original some how?
CyberTaz

Hi Lenea-

If you _have not_ closed the file you can still Undo even after saving. If
you actually closed the file & saved, I'm afraid you're out of options.

Sorry |:(

"Lenea" wrote:

In a word doc I typed changes then forgot to save it as a new document - is
it possible to retrieve the original some how?

forecaller

"Lenea" wrote:

In a word doc I typed changes then forgot to save it as a new document - is
it possible to retrieve the original some how?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

No

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"forecaller" wrote in message

"Lenea" wrote:

In a word doc I typed changes then forgot to save it as a new document -
is
it possible to retrieve the original some how?

Charles Kenyon

This is only one of the reasons to use templates to create new documents
rather than reusing existing ones and using Save As.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Lenea" wrote in message
In a word doc I typed changes then forgot to save it as a new document -
is
it possible to retrieve the original some how?

Jay Freedman

The "undo buffer" (the list of things you did to the document that can
be undone) is kept in memory, but only until you close the document --
at that point the memory is cleared.

If you save something you don't want, and then undo back to the point
where you started, you still have to resave the "undone" document
again so the copy on disk matches what you see on screen. If you undo
but then fail to save again before shutting down, you'll still lose
the original.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Lenea" wrote:

In a word doc I typed changes then forgot to save it as a new document - is
it possible to retrieve the original some how?

Margaret64

Well, I have clicked undo but it's still not picking up my original
document. I've saved it once, but never closed the window.

The good news is that luckily, I had sent an email that contained the
original document (mostly!) to a colleague last night. So... I was able to
retrieve that and restore from my email program.

So, it sounds like it I've clicked undo as far as it can go that's all I can
do.. Unless I did the backup copy via tools (which I did just now. Thanks to
all for that tip!)

mac

"Lenea" wrote:

In a word doc I typed changes then forgot to save it as a new document - is
it possible to retrieve the original some how?

mac