BK

Default Check Box trouble

Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I can check
and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to edit the
caption so that it says something intelligent instead of "checkbox1" I seem
to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

Anne Troy

Hi, BK. When you start editing the caption, you're in design mode. Make sure
you're out of design mode. Keep the Control Toolbox toolbar open until
you're all done. When you're in design mode, the top-left button on that
stays "active", and you can click it to turn off design mode.

Also, please make sure you're not unnecessarily using the Control Toolbox
checkbox if you could be using the one from the Forms toolbar:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...osoft_word.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I can

check
and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to edit the
caption so that it says something intelligent instead of "checkbox1" I

seem
to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

BK

Anne

Thanks for the information. I'm off to read your article and give your
suggestions a try.

news:ce20a$42ddb8c9$97c5108d$6788@allthenewsgroups .com...

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I can

check
and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to edit
the
caption so that it says something intelligent instead of "checkbox1" I

seem
to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

BK

Anne

I inserted a check box from the Forms toolbar, but now I cannot seem to
click with the mouse to check or uncheck it. That's what makes me think I
need the Control Toolbox toolbar checkbox instead. I want to be able to use
the mouse to check or uncheck the box.

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I can

check
and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to edit
the
caption so that it says something intelligent instead of "checkbox1" I

seem
to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

Anne Troy

Read the article, BK. It states that YOU MUST PROTECT THE FORM for the
fields to work properly.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control

Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I can

check
and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to edit
the
caption so that it says something intelligent instead of "checkbox1" I

seem
to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

Anne Troy

Cool beans.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control

Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I

can
check
and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to

edit
the
caption so that it says something intelligent instead of "checkbox1"

seem
to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

Charles Kenyon

You do _not_ want to be using the Controls Toolbox for this. Use the Forms
toolbar or another method. There are a number of ways to create and use
clickable checkboxes in documents / templates. Some require protected or
locked forms, others do not. Take a look at the Checkbox template available
at http://www.addbalance.com/word/downl...#CheckboxAddIn for an
exploration of these.

If you want to use the Forms toolbar, then you'll need to protect the
document for forms. This is what Word calls an "online form." Check this in
help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I can
check and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to
edit the caption so that it says something intelligent instead of
"checkbox1" I seem to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

BK

Quick question: Is there a way to change the default "mark" when you click
on the box? Right now it is an X and I wonder if it is possible to make it
a real check mark?

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Cool beans.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control
Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I

can
check
and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to

edit
the
caption so that it says something intelligent instead of
"checkbox1"

seem
to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

BK

Out of curiosity, when would one use the Controls Toolbox check box? I most
definitely agree that the Forms check box is the way to go here, but when
would the other be used?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control Toolbox
toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode, I can
check and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I try to
edit the caption so that it says something intelligent instead of
"checkbox1" I seem to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

Charles Kenyon

I don't use these controls, they are kind of a hold-over from earlier
methods. Anything I can do with them, I would prefer to do using a UserForm.
Check the checkbox template tutorial for ways to make a check mark (tick)
rather than an X. This is, though, not done through the forms toolbar.
--

"BK" wrote in message
Hmmmm! Using Word 2000 and inserting a check box via the Control
Toolbox toolbar. Once I insert the check box and exit the design mode,
I can check and uncheck the box with the mouse click. However, once I
try to edit the caption so that it says something intelligent instead of
"checkbox1" I seem to lose the ability to check and uncheck the box.

I'm sure I'm being very stupid, but I'm stuck!!!

Doug Robbins

See how it is done in the Fax template that comes with Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"BK" wrote in message
Quick question: Is there a way to change the default "mark" when you
click on the box? Right now it is an X and I wonder if it is possible to
make it a real check mark?

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Cool beans.
~Anne Troy