Jack

Default Access to Word link 2003

Hi
Just had my computer upgraded to XP pro with Access 2003 and Word 2003.
Is there a way of sending the results of a query to a Word mailmerge
document. (It all worked perfectly with the old Word.)

Is there a simple way of doing it or does one have to use ODBC, OLE, DDE or
whatever?

I tried sending the data from a query to word, used to work no problem with
the old Access and Word programs.

It seems to work when sending to Excel but not to Word 2003.
Am I missing some connectivity software or what. Where can I find step by
step instructions on how to link Access to Word 2003?

Somebody said something changing * to a % sign in the queries?

Can you please help?

Many thanks

Cindy Meister

Hi Jack

could you be more specific, please, about what menu command you used to use?
As far as I know, the same interface is still there, in Access 2003, in the
Tools menu.

From the Word side, I prefer using the mail merge toolbar to the "wizard"
(look in Tools/Letters and Mailings). The second button from the left should
let you navigate to and connect to your Access database.

Once you get that far, if things aren't working as you remember, could you
please descirbe the problems you encounter in more detail?

-- Cindy

"Jack" wrote:

Hi
Just had my computer upgraded to XP pro with Access 2003 and Word 2003.
Is there a way of sending the results of a query to a Word mailmerge
document. (It all worked perfectly with the old Word.)

Is there a simple way of doing it or does one have to use ODBC, OLE, DDE or
whatever?

I tried sending the data from a query to word, used to work no problem with
the old Access and Word programs.

It seems to work when sending to Excel but not to Word 2003.
Am I missing some connectivity software or what. Where can I find step by
step instructions on how to link Access to Word 2003?

Somebody said something changing * to a % sign in the queries?

Can you please help?

Many thanks

DanR

I have the same problem. Merges that once worked, now do not. Probably as
result SP3 with Office XP Pro. Disabled the "SQL" prompt as per a previous
post, which worked just fine.
Symptoms: Run Word mail merge doc & now it can't find source. Click the
'Find source' button & go to path where mdb resides ok. However, now when
tell get table/query, the query choice no longer there. ONLY tables. No
querys. I need the queries.
Same result when trying to gen a completely new Word merge doc. Queries not
available. Tried it from Word end & Access end
So none of my Word merge which are based on Access queries work!

Dan

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi
Just had my computer upgraded to XP pro with Access 2003 and Word 2003.
Is there a way of sending the results of a query to a Word mailmerge
document. (It all worked perfectly with the old Word.)

Is there a simple way of doing it or does one have to use ODBC, OLE, DDE
or
whatever?

I tried sending the data from a query to word, used to work no problem
with
the old Access and Word programs.

It seems to work when sending to Excel but not to Word 2003.
Am I missing some connectivity software or what. Where can I find step by
step instructions on how to link Access to Word 2003?

Somebody said something changing * to a % sign in the queries?

Can you please help?

Many thanks

Doug Robbins

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then on the General tab,
check the box before "Confirm conversions at open". After doing that, when
you go to attach the data source to the main document, you will be provided
with a number of options for the method by which the connection should be
made. I believe that the one that you want will be the DDE option.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi
Just had my computer upgraded to XP pro with Access 2003 and Word 2003.
Is there a way of sending the results of a query to a Word mailmerge
document. (It all worked perfectly with the old Word.)

Is there a simple way of doing it or does one have to use ODBC, OLE, DDE
or
whatever?

I tried sending the data from a query to word, used to work no problem
with
the old Access and Word programs.

It seems to work when sending to Excel but not to Word 2003.
Am I missing some connectivity software or what. Where can I find step by
step instructions on how to link Access to Word 2003?

Somebody said something changing * to a % sign in the queries?

Can you please help?

Many thanks

DanR

That's it! Works again.
Can you tell me what changed & how was I to know it changed? At what point
did the change happen?
Many times I blindly apply 'security' fixes just because I trust that MS
should know & not take the time to test all of my applications, macros,
templates, etc. Not the first time I have been caught with pants below
knees.

Dan

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then on the General tab,

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Word 2003 does not link with Excel'97 document dick provo0st Microsoft Word Help 1 January 5th 05 10:17 PM
Word 2003 and Access 2003 Mail Merge question HD87glide Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 04 02:29 PM