Bay Area DebG

Default How do I use cell references in calculations?

I am trying to calculate grades based on values in a table. Here is the
Excel formula:
=IF(D16899,"A",IF(D16799,"B",IF(D16699,"C",IF(D 16599,"D",IF(D16500,"F"))))).

Unfortunately, this formula does not work in Word. Could someone walk me
through how to reference a cell, perform a calculation on it, and then return
a single letter value?
Jezebel

You can't do this sort of thing in Word. Calculations are limited to very
limited calculations like SUM(ABOVE). If you're really keen, you could
bookmark D16 and use REF fields; but it's probably better to embed an Excel
table.

"Bay Area DebG" Bay Area DebG @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I am trying to calculate grades based on values in a table. Here is the
Excel formula:
=IF(D16899,"A",IF(D16799,"B",IF(D16699,"C",IF(D 16599,"D",IF(D16500,"F"))))).

Unfortunately, this formula does not work in Word. Could someone walk me
through how to reference a cell, perform a calculation on it, and then
return
a single letter value?

Bay Area DebG

Jezebel,

Thanks for your response. I did find information regarding IF statements in
MS Word and I finally figured out how to use the bookmarks (you mentioned) to
reference the value in the field. In the help system, it talks about
specifying multiple conditions that I cannot get to work. Even their example
code does not work.
--
Thanks,
Deb

"Jezebel" wrote:

You can't do this sort of thing in Word. Calculations are limited to very
limited calculations like SUM(ABOVE). If you're really keen, you could
bookmark D16 and use REF fields; but it's probably better to embed an Excel
table.

"Bay Area DebG" Bay Area DebG @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I am trying to calculate grades based on values in a table. Here is the
Excel formula:
=IF(D16899,"A",IF(D16799,"B",IF(D16699,"C",IF(D 16599,"D",IF(D16500,"F"))))).

Unfortunately, this formula does not work in Word. Could someone walk me
through how to reference a cell, perform a calculation on it, and then
return
a single letter value?

macropod

Hi Deb,

Despite what Jezebel claims, you can indeed do this sort of thing in Word!
Take a look at my 'tutorial' document on Word field maths at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442
All the information you need is there. The formula you end up with should
look like:
{IF{=D16} 899 A {IF{=D16} 799 B {IF{=D16} 699 C {IF{=D16} 599 D
{IF{=D16} 500 F}}}}}
Note that the spaces indicated above are critical.

Cheers
PS: What happens if 600D16499? Is the last '' symbol the wrong way round?

Bay Area DebG

That's exactly what I needed, thank you so much!!!

To answer your question, the last symbol is correct. Anything less than
500 is an "F". All numbers greater should already be covered in the formula.
Actually, I look at what you typed and I think I have an error, because I
also need to include the numbers from 501 to 598. But I can take care of
that.

Thanks again!

--
Let me know if this helps!
Bay Area DebG

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Deb,

Despite what Jezebel claims, you can indeed do this sort of thing in Word!
Take a look at my 'tutorial' document on Word field maths at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442
All the information you need is there. The formula you end up with should
look like:
{IF{=D16} 899 A {IF{=D16} 799 B {IF{=D16} 699 C {IF{=D16} 599 D
{IF{=D16} 500 F}}}}}
Note that the spaces indicated above are critical.

Cheers
PS: What happens if 600D16499? Is the last '' symbol the wrong way round?

Jezebel

Be aware, Macropod's glorious field extravaganzas are entertaining, but you
need to be aware thatt they are not reliable enough for serious use. He
denies this furiously and indignantly (as you will see), but fury is no
substitute for competence.

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Deb,

Despite what Jezebel claims, you can indeed do this sort of thing in
Word!
Take a look at my 'tutorial' document on Word field maths at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442
All the information you need is there. The formula you end up with should
look like:
{IF{=D16} 899 A {IF{=D16} 799 B {IF{=D16} 699 C {IF{=D16} 599 D
{IF{=D16} 500 F}}}}}
Note that the spaces indicated above are critical.

Cheers
PS: What happens if 600D16499? Is the last '' symbol the wrong way
round?

macropod

Hi Deb,

Don't worry too much about Jezebel's ranting - it's all just so much vacuous
bluster. Ask Jezebel for proof - it won't be forthcoming. The simple fact
is, Word field coding is used extensively for mailmerges, document
automation and the like by Word users worldwide.

Cheers