Blasting Cap

Default Mailmerge questions

I need to create a booklet with names, addresses, bios and contact info
in it. The data is currently in an excel spreadsheet, but may also be
in a sql database.

The booklet is going to be printed landscape in booklet form on a
8.5"x11" sheet of paper. Each "page" of the booklet is going to be 5.5"
wide and 8.5" high. When printed, page 1 and page 4 will be on one side
of the paper, and pages 2 & 3 will be on the other.

What I want to do is to print these fields down the page, sort of like
below:

Lastname, Firstname Middle
Spouse Firstname Spouse Lastname
Address1
Address2
City, State Zip
phonenumber
email address
bio
questionaire replies

In the case where there's no address2 line, I want to recover the space
(i.e. no blank line). If there's no phone number, or it's not listed,
I'd like to not leave that blank either.

Some people will publish bios, some will do questionaires, some will do
both,some will do neither. In any case, I want to have no blank lines
in the document until I've concluded the info for this person.

In trying to do this in Word, it's like re-inventing the wheel - I can't
get it to do all of what I want it to do.

Some friends have suggested going thru the Wizard and doing labels, but
it seems to me that they're fixed positions that may lop off some of the
fields I want to print down the page.

The tries at a directory thus far have yeilded 1 entry per page, which
isn't an option. I have to do this for about 400 entries.

Any help/advice appreciated.

BC
Doug Robbins

It can probably be done, but it will be a bit of work.

See the article "Booklet printing" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm

To eliminate the blank rows, use If...Then...Else fields that check for the
presence of data in the fields

I would suggest that a Directory type mailmerge maindocument is what you
should be using. If your existing directory type maindocument, only
resulted in one record per page (with a large empty space after it), check
the formatting of the paragraphs in the main document to make sure that they
are not formatted as keep with next, or in the case of the first one, with
pagebreak before.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.