MikeR

Default Bg color shows thru in some cells in Word 2002

I'm using Word 2002 at a client site, and someone gave me a table problem to
figure out. It has 15 rows and 24 columns. The row heading and column
heading are shaded Color A, and the interior cells are shaded in alternate
shades of Color B. Several of the rows and columns have the white background
showing through on a portion of each cell. For the life of me, I can't
figure out why. It's probably an easy solution, but I've never run across
this before. I can't change the bg color to one of the shades used because
then the other cells will have that shade showing through.
Doug Robbins

Are you sure that the shading is applied to the cells and not the the
paragraphs within the cells?

I seem to recall that there was some bug in this respect in Word 6 or 97 for
which I did come up with a work around, but it is so long ago now that I do
not remember what it was. If you go to

See the article "How to validate the contents of a formfield in a Word form"
at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...ateFFields.htm

and search for my name in the tables ng AND go back far enough (7 or 8
years), you might be able to find it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"MikeR" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002 at a client site, and someone gave me a table problem
figure out. It has 15 rows and 24 columns. The row heading and column
heading are shaded Color A, and the interior cells are shaded in alternate
shades of Color B. Several of the rows and columns have the white
background
showing through on a portion of each cell. For the life of me, I can't
figure out why. It's probably an easy solution, but I've never run across
this before. I can't change the bg color to one of the shades used
because
then the other cells will have that shade showing through.

MikeR

Thanks for the quick response, Doug. It doesn't appear to be applied to the
paragraphs. The background showing through on certain cells seems really
random. An entire column might be okay, save for one cell that has about 5%
of the white background peeking through. The guy I got it from didn't create
the table, so I can't try to figure out what he might have done. It's really
odd.

"MikeR" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2002 at a client site, and someone gave me a table problem
figure out. It has 15 rows and 24 columns. The row heading and column
heading are shaded Color A, and the interior cells are shaded in alternate
shades of Color B. Several of the rows and columns have the white
background
showing through on a portion of each cell. For the life of me, I can't
figure out why. It's probably an easy solution, but I've never run across
this before. I can't change the bg color to one of the shades used
because
then the other cells will have that shade showing through.

Klaus Linke

Hi Mike,

What happens if you select the table, then "Format Borders and shading
(Shading tab)", and choose "Transparent" in the "Pattern" combo box beneath
the colors?
With Word2000/2002/2003, you really don't usually need to bother with
texture, forground color and pattern: They were useful in older versions, to
fudge more than the 16 colors available back then.

If that messes up the cell shading, you can use Ctrl+Z (Undo).

Greetings,
Klaus