EstherH

Default files become humungous

I am creating a series of table in a file that I intend to view as an outline.
Each table will be under a separate item in the outline. I am finding that
the file is becoming unwieldy very quickly. I looked at the file in script
editor and have found that every td has a tremendous amount of code
embedded in it, much of it the same in each td. In the past I have tried to
modify or delete this sort of stuff. But Word does not allow that or puts it
right back in. Has anyone tried using stylesheets or classes to solve this
sort of problem? If yes, has it worked? If yes, I may need some help setting
these up.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RXN0aGVySA==?=,

I am creating a series of table in a file that I intend to view as an outline.
Each table will be under a separate item in the outline. I am finding that
the file is becoming unwieldy very quickly. I looked at the file in script
editor and have found that every td has a tremendous amount of code
embedded in it, much of it the same in each td. In the past I have tried to
modify or delete this sort of stuff. But Word does not allow that or puts it
right back in.

A table in Word stores lots of information that Word requires in order to lay out
the table. I don't think there's anything you can do to reduce the table
structures in Word's native file format.

Hmmm. I suppose you could TRY creating the tables as pure, minimal HTML (since
you seem comfortable with that syntax) in separate files (one for each table).
Then use Insert/File with a link to bring them into Word. That *might* have an
influence on the bloat problems you're experiencing (no guarantees, though).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

EstherH

Thanks for the response. I have found that some of the growth is due to Word
adding a huge amount of bookmarks as I do copy and paste operations. I
deleted many of these without harm (so far at least). Trouble is that even
though these take a large part of the html file, the doc file only goes down
abouot 10-20% and moves up slowly again every time I open the file and do
work. So it does not look good.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RXN0aGVySA==?=,

[...]

Anne Troy

Hi, Esther. I have found that saving as RTF often helps when dealing with
tables. However, I face the same problems as you when I try to copy a table
from Word and paste into FrontPage, and I have still found no nice way to
get around it!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"EstherH" wrote in message
Thanks for the response. I have found that some of the growth is due to
Word
adding a huge amount of bookmarks as I do copy and paste operations. I
deleted many of these without harm (so far at least). Trouble is that even
though these take a large part of the html file, the doc file only goes
down
abouot 10-20% and moves up slowly again every time I open the file and do
work. So it does not look good.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?RXN0aGVySA==?=,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

EstherH

In my case, this did not help. In fact, the files became about 25% larger.
I know why. Word has inserted a huge amount of bookmarks into my tables which
occupy a lot of bytes in the script files (bat probably not in the Word
files).

I noticed that much of info repeats - eg td info, p info. I will soon try
to redo my files using styles (which I have not used at all until now). I
am hoping that this will help.

Anyway, thanks for responding.

"EstherH" wrote in message
Thanks for the response. I have found that some of the growth is due to
Word
adding a huge amount of bookmarks as I do copy and paste operations. I
deleted many of these without harm (so far at least). Trouble is that even
though these take a large part of the html file, the doc file only goes
down
abouot 10-20% and moves up slowly again every time I open the file and do
work. So it does not look good.

Hi ?B?RXN0aGVySA==?=,