Lamb chop

Default cross-references also inserting the figure

Word has started inserting the figure into the text along with the
cross-references and I have to keep deleting them. What have I done?!

You have got your figure inside the bookmark for the cross-reference. This
is easy to do if you have created the cross-reference first and then pressed
Enter at the beginning of the caption. Instead, always press Enter at the
end of the previous paragraph. Or, if you have the figure and caption in the
same paragraph, you will need to split them.

"Lamb chop" Lamb wrote in message
Word has started inserting the figure into the text along with the
cross-references and I have to keep deleting them. What have I done?!

Sorry, I wrote that response in a hurry. Shauna Kelly does a much better job
of explaining this, but since she's on the other side of the world, you
might have had to wait a bit longer for her reply!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have got your figure inside the bookmark for the cross-reference.

This
is easy to do if you have created the cross-reference first and then

pressed
Enter at the beginning of the caption. Instead, always press Enter at

the
end of the previous paragraph. Or, if you have the figure and caption in

the
same paragraph, you will need to split them.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lamb chop" Lamb wrote in message
Word has started inserting the figure into the text along with the
cross-references and I have to keep deleting them. What have I done?!

Lamb chop

Ok, at first this worked but as soon as I had to update fields the figures
were inserting themselves back into the text! I have a paragraph mark before
and after all my figures but only some of them are doing this. Please help
it's driving me crazy!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have got your figure inside the bookmark for the cross-reference. This
is easy to do if you have created the cross-reference first and then pressed
Enter at the beginning of the caption. Instead, always press Enter at the
end of the previous paragraph. Or, if you have the figure and caption in the
same paragraph, you will need to split them.

"Lamb chop" Lamb wrote in message
Word has started inserting the figure into the text along with the
cross-references and I have to keep deleting them. What have I done?!

Lamb chop

Thanks, I've eventually worked out that when you insert the cross reference,
it's best to press the space bar twice and then insert the ref inbetween the
spaces! I must have been doing some of them as I was typing and others
retrospectively. Thanks for the help :-)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have got your figure inside the bookmark for the cross-reference.

This
is easy to do if you have created the cross-reference first and then

pressed
Enter at the beginning of the caption. Instead, always press Enter at

the
end of the previous paragraph. Or, if you have the figure and caption

in the
same paragraph, you will need to split them.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Lamb chop" Lamb wrote in message
Word has started inserting the figure into the text along with the
cross-references and I have to keep deleting them. What have I

done?!

The problem is that whenever you insert a cross-reference or generate a TOC,
Word inserts invisible bookmarks around captions or headings. Anything you
type at the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph will be included in the
bookmark (even though you generally don't intend it to be), and anything you
type at the end usually won't (even though you probably do want it to be).
In the former case, it's safer to insert stuff AFTER the previous paragraph
rather than trying to insert BEFORE the bookmarked one. In the latter case,
it's safer to insert material before the last letter or word of the existing
text, then delete it.

It *is* possible to "move" bookmarks. My article at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm explains how to do this
for a specific purpose, but I would imagine it would work just as well to
reassign a bookmark to the intended text in general.