Candace

Default Uneditable fields

I have a large Word table that we are using as a form. Is it possible to set
some of the cells so that they cannot be edited?
Jean-Guy Marcil

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

I have a large Word table that we are using as a form. Is it possible
to set some of the cells so that they cannot be edited?

Why don't you protect if for form? This feature was designed for that
purpose.
Tools Protect Document...

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Candace

This document also contains mail merge fields, so I cannot use the form
objects because they are not compatible with mail merge features. Is there
any way to set some of the cells in my table so that they cannot be edited?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

I have a large Word table that we are using as a form. Is it possible
to set some of the cells so that they cannot be edited?

Why don't you protect if for form? This feature was designed for that
purpose.
Tools Protect Document...

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
ISTOO
Word MVP site:
http://www.word.mvps.org

Jean-Guy Marcil

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

This document also contains mail merge fields, so I cannot use the
form objects because they are not compatible with mail merge
features. Is there any way to set some of the cells in my table so
that they cannot be edited?

It can be done, but it means that everybody involved with the document must
have Word 2003.

Otherwise, alternatives are possible, but first, you must describe in more
details what you are doing (I mean as far as the user is concerned, how will
he/she handle the document?).

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Candace

DETAILS: My table contains cells that have merge codes. Data from an Access
database will populate these cells when merged. My table also contains cells
that users will enter figures in. Also, my table has cells that will
calculate the figures entered by the users. The cells that I want to lock are
the cells that contain descriptive information that I do not want users to be
able to edit. For instance, I have a cell that has the word "Fees" in it; to
the right of that cell there is another cell that the user will enter the
appropriate dollar amount. I do not want my user to accidentally click in the
descriptive field that says "Fees" and type figures there. We are using Word
2003. How can I set this form so that users cannot edit cells that contain
info that should not be changed?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

This document also contains mail merge fields, so I cannot use the
form objects because they are not compatible with mail merge
features. Is there any way to set some of the cells in my table so
that they cannot be edited?

It can be done, but it means that everybody involved with the document must
have Word 2003.

Otherwise, alternatives are possible, but first, you must describe in more
details what you are doing (I mean as far as the user is concerned, how will
he/she handle the document?).

--
Salut!
_______________________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil - Word MVP
ISTOO
Word MVP site:
http://www.word.mvps.org

Jean-Guy Marcil

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

DETAILS: My table contains cells that have merge codes. Data from an
Access database will populate these cells when merged. My table also
contains cells that users will enter figures in. Also, my table has
cells that will calculate the figures entered by the users. The cells
that I want to lock are the cells that contain descriptive
information that I do not want users to be able to edit. For
instance, I have a cell that has the word "Fees" in it; to the right
of that cell there is another cell that the user will enter the
appropriate dollar amount. I do not want my user to accidentally
click in the descriptive field that says "Fees" and type figures
there. We are using Word 2003. How can I set this form so that users
cannot edit cells that contain info that should not be changed?

In Word 2003 use Tools Protect Document...

In the task pane on the left, in section #2, check "No Changes." Then select
text (or a cell) you want users to be able to edit and click on the
"Everyone" checkbox in the Exceptions section of the Task pane (Meaning that
Everyone can edit this selected part of the document). Choose another
editable section and click on "Everyone," and so on.

I have never used this with a mail merge, I do not know if it will work...
let us now!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Candace

Unfortunately, the Protect Document task pane is "greyed-out" for mail merge
documents, so I can use it's options. Any other ideas?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

[...]

Jean-Guy Marcil

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

Unfortunately, the Protect Document task pane is "greyed-out" for
mail merge documents, so I can use it's options. Any other ideas?

I did something like this a few years ago.

I had a form that was protected and did a mail merge with it.

If I remember correctly, I inserted my MERGEFIELD by hand, and then
protected the form.
When the user was ready to proceed with the merge, he used the mailmerge
toolbar. I had modified the bar so that when he clicked on "Merge to new
document" a custom macro was called. The macro unprotected the form and
established the connection with the database and then proceeded with the
merge.

This was with Word 97... but I know it can be done, I just do not have the
time right now to dig up the code.

I am sure that someone has the code, I would suggest at this point that you
start a new thread in the vba.general group asking for info on mailmerging
through vba under Word 2003.

Good luck!

--
Salut!