crando

Default How do I put in a section-specific TOC in a long document

I am writing a long document with a lot of sections. Thanks to the help here
I can easily generate a TOC for the whole document. But two of the sections
need their own TOC's, listing just the headers in those particular sections.
The only way I know to do this is to insert a TOC for the whole document,
then delete all the other sections. That works but is pretty laborious, and
of course afterwards I have to immediately update page numbers. Is there any
way to create a section specific TOC that will "read" only the headers in
those sections?

Dawn Crosier

Select the range of text you want included in your specific table
of contents and bookmark it. Then where you want your new table
of contents follow the following directions:

1. Press CTRL+F9. That will insert an empty field code. Should
look like { }
2. Place your cursor inside the French braces and type: TOC \b
bookmarkname \o "1-3" \h \z \u
3. Press your F9 key to update the newly created table of
contents

Here is what the codes in step 2 mean:
TOC - the type of field, in this case Table of Contents
\b bookmark name - the \b indicates that you want to include only
those headings which are wrapped in a specific bookmark. The
name of the bookmark follows the \b switch. Therefore, you need
to change bookmarkname to what you named the range of text.
\o "1-3" - the \o tells Word to use Headings to create the TOC
and the "1-3" indicates which levels of headings to use.
\h - indicates you want the TOC to hyperlink to the heading in
the document.
\z - Hides tab leader and page leader information in Web Layout
view
\u - Builds the Table of Contents by using the applied paragraph
outline level.

Another method I have used, especially if I have customized the
current TOC and want the partial table of contents to follow the
same format:

1. Press ALT+F9 to convert all fields to their codes
2. Select an existing TOC code and copy it
3. Paste the copy in the appropriate place
4. Modify the TOC field to include the \b bookmarkname field
switch and bookmark name
5. Press F9 to update the new TOC
6. Press ALT+F9 to toggle all fields back to text

Hope that helps.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"crando" wrote in message
I am writing a long document with a lot of sections. Thanks to
the help here
I can easily generate a TOC for the whole document. But two of
the sections
need their own TOC's, listing just the headers in those
particular sections.
The only way I know to do this is to insert a TOC for the whole
document,
then delete all the other sections. That works but is pretty
laborious, and
of course afterwards I have to immediately update page numbers.
Is there any
way to create a section specific TOC that will "read" only the
headers in
those sections?

crando

The first option gave me nothing, maybe I did it right. But I tried option #2
in two documents and I'll be dipped, it worked! That's actually a better
option since I don't use any of the given TOC formats.
Thanks!

"crando" wrote in message
I am writing a long document with a lot of sections. Thanks to
the help here
I can easily generate a TOC for the whole document. But two of
the sections
need their own TOC's, listing just the headers in those
particular sections.
The only way I know to do this is to insert a TOC for the whole
document,
then delete all the other sections. That works but is pretty
laborious, and
of course afterwards I have to immediately update page numbers.
Is there any
way to create a section specific TOC that will "read" only the
headers in
those sections?

For more on hand-editing of TOC fields, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm. This type of TOC is
covered under "A partial table of contents."

The first option gave me nothing, maybe I did it right. But I tried option

PopS

Hey, that's a keeper! Thanks! PopS

:
[...]
: --
: Dawn Crosier
: Microsoft MVP
: "Education Lasts a Lifetime"
:
: This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
: questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.
:
: "crando" wrote in message
: ...
: I am writing a long document with a lot of sections. Thanks to
: the help here
: I can easily generate a TOC for the whole document. But two of
: the sections
: need their own TOC's, listing just the headers in those
: particular sections.
: The only way I know to do this is to insert a TOC for the whole
: document,
: then delete all the other sections. That works but is pretty
: laborious, and
: of course afterwards I have to immediately update page numbers.
: Is there any
: way to create a section specific TOC that will "read" only the
: headers in
: those sections?
:

PopS

Good article; thanks again. PopS

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: For more on hand-editing of TOC fields, see
: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm. This type
of TOC is
: covered under "A partial table of contents."
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: ...