Ron

Default Mail Merge into Table

I have set up a three column two row table with 4 mail merge fields.

Currently Word automatically places the merged data on a separate page for
each merged record.

I need the merged data to be merged in subsequent rows in the table on the
same page (or to flow onto subsequent pages as the table rows increase for
each merged record)

How do I prevent Word from busting up my table onto separate pages instead
of keeping it intact?

TIA
Ron

Charles Kenyon

Look into doing a catalog merge.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Ron" wrote in message
. ..
I have set up a three column two row table with 4 mail merge fields.

Currently Word automatically places the merged data on a separate page for
each merged record.

I need the merged data to be merged in subsequent rows in the table on the
same page (or to flow onto subsequent pages as the table rows increase for
each merged record)

How do I prevent Word from busting up my table onto separate pages instead
of keeping it intact?

TIA
Ron

Ron

Thanks Charles, while waiting for a reply to my post I found that option.
However I could find very little help on the subject at Microsoft's web site
and the office Assistant did not recognize the terms catalog merge and
returned unrelated help links.

The information I did find does appear to suggest a method. Unfortunately
the instructions do not work with tables. It seems to me the solution is to
turn off the page breaks. I placed my cursor before the last paragraph mark
and inserted a Continous Page Break as the article suggested but the table
still split up onto separte pages following the merge. I also changed the
Page setup layput to continous as well but that had no impact either.

Here is a copy of the article below. Can you find any other clues that I
might try?

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it.

Ron
SYMPTOMS
When you Mail Merge a catalog, the merged document will not contain the
header/footer included in the main document.
CAUSE
Header/footer information is stored in section breaks. The last paragraph
mark in a document is an implied section break and contains the
header/footer information for the last section in the document. The default
section setting for this section is Next Page.

To merge to the catalog format, the last paragraph mark is removed during
the merge so Word merges as if the section is Continuous, resulting in
multiple records per page rather than one record per page. Since the
paragraph mark is removed during the merge process, so is the header/footer
information.
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, follow these steps: 1. Enter the mergefields
into the main document.
2. On the File menu, click Page Setup and click the Layout tab.
3. Under Section Start, select Continuous, and then click OK..
4. Place your insertion point just before the very last paragraph
mark.
5. On the Insert menu, click Break, select Continuous, and then click
OK.
6. On the File menu, click Page Setup and click the Layout tab. Verify
that Section Start is set to Continuous.
7. Place your insertion point above the section break and set up the
headers/footers.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...
Look into doing a catalog merge.