DaveAS

Default Word 2003 changes formattings of para styles in table

2005-09-15-04T15:40Z

I'm confident that the first times I encountered this, the only things I had
done were as follow.
1. saved the file (Alt+F+A)
2. closed the file (Alt+F+C)
3. exited Word (Alt+F+X)
4. used Windows Explorer to reopen the file (double-click)

=====

1. Windows® XP Professional operating system
2. Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 (The following are in no particular order)
a. file originally based on \Normal.dot (in Word, chose File | New)
b. "orphaned" paragraph style "Normal"
1) styles based on "(no style)"
2) styles followed by themselves or others but _not_ "Normal"
3. saved the file variously as .doc and .dot (File | Save As...)
4. closed file
5. exited Word
6. sometimes, restarted workstation
7. opened file (usually, in Windows Explorer, doubled-clicked the file)
8. file is ~ 85 pp and 0.788 MB (had been as large as 1.167 MB)
9. set "Default paragraph style:" to "bodl_body_left" ((Tools | Options
Enable click and type chose "bodl_body_left" disabled "Enable click and
type"
10. paragraph style "bodl_body_left" is based on "(no style)", Times New
Roman, 12 pt, regular

See attachment \1TablesBefore.pdf.
1. titles of tables outside table (not a header row in the table)
2. titles of tables, including numbering: Arial, 11 pt, bold
3. titles of columns: Arial, 11 pt, bold
4. table cells: Times New Roman, 10 pt, regular
5. figure cutline row: Arial, 10 pt, regular, italic

See attachment \2TablesAfter.pdf. I describe the worst corruption as follows.
1. titles of tables changed from bold to regular, but
2. numbering of titles of tables OK
3. table cells changed from regular, left alignment to bold, centered
4. On Word's "Formatting" tool bar, icons appear as though the changes
had been made using them.
a. individually, chose the offending passages and applied the paragrpah
styles again: no change
b. individually, confirmed that the encodings of the styles are correct
c. individually, chose the offending passages and on the "Formatting"
tool bar, chose the styles by name
1) "Modify Style" dialogue box appeared
2) chose "Reapply the formatting of the style to the selection?"
3) usually, no change
d. usually, chose the offending passages individually and used the
"Formatting" tool bar buttons to manually correct the formatting
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Open the file, and choose Tools - Templates and Add-ins, and see if
"Automatically update document styles" is enabled. If so, then that's the
problem.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"DaveAS" wrote in message
[...]

DaveAS

2005-09-19-01T13:15Z

Herb -

Thanks for your reply. I had very early in the process ensured that
"Automatically update document styles" was _dis_abled. I also ensured that
automatic updating is disabled in paragraph styles.

After my posting, I nosed around a bit more in Word 2003 and learned some
more about tables and table styles. I hope what I did made the file more
stable.

Dave