SusanC

Default Can't turn off Hidden Text option

Hello,

I have a few Word files that open with hidden text displayed. When I go to
Tools/Options and deselect the Hidden Text option, save the file, and then
re-open the file, the Hidden Text option is reselected and the hidden text is
once again displaying. I'm baffled. I've looked for a way to globally turn
off this setting through Help/System Information and the Word online help.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Susan C.
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Hidden display isn't a setting that makes the file "dirty" (i.e., doesn't
add anything to the Undo menu), so are you sure you're actually saving it?
Word doesn't actually do a save unless it thinks something has changed
(i.e., som edit has been performed). After making the settings change,
insert a space and delete it, then save the file. Does the setting "stick"
now?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"SusanC" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a few Word files that open with hidden text displayed. When I go to
Tools/Options and deselect the Hidden Text option, save the file, and then
re-open the file, the Hidden Text option is reselected and the hidden text
is
once again displaying. I'm baffled. I've looked for a way to globally turn
off this setting through Help/System Information and the Word online help.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Susan C.

Documents that contain XE or TC fields will always open with Hidden text
displayed, I think. But note, too, that display of nonprinting characters is
a semi-environmental setting: the document you open picks up the setting
from the window in which you open it (if you have another document open).