Valerie

Default How do I permanently shut-off the Reviewing Toolbar?

Is there a way to have the Reviewing Toolbar only show "Final" and no other
choices like "Final Showing Markup", etc.? Or can I permanently shut-off the
Reviewing Toolbar?
Anne Troy

See if these help:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/g...oft_wor d.htm
http://www.officearticles.com/outloo..._outloo k.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Valerie" wrote in message
Is there a way to have the Reviewing Toolbar only show "Final" and no
other
choices like "Final Showing Markup", etc.? Or can I permanently shut-off
the
Reviewing Toolbar?

Valerie

Anne,

Thank you for replying to my question. The references you posted were very
helpful, and have solved my problem.

Valerie Lusk

"Valerie" wrote in message
Is there a way to have the Reviewing Toolbar only show "Final" and no
other
choices like "Final Showing Markup", etc.? Or can I permanently shut-off
the
Reviewing Toolbar?

Anne Troy

Terrific, Val!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Valerie" wrote in message
Is there a way to have the Reviewing Toolbar only show "Final" and no
other
choices like "Final Showing Markup", etc.? Or can I permanently
shut-off
the
Reviewing Toolbar?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen Jen is offline

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Terrific, Val!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Valerie" wrote in message
Is there a way to have the Reviewing Toolbar only show "Final" and no
other
choices like "Final Showing Markup", etc.? Or can I permanently
shut-off
the
Reviewing Toolbar?

My company just upgraded to Office 2007, and I cannot find a way to change my default Word setting to show only the final document. I reviewed all the links and demos mentioned earlier in this discussion, but unless I'm missing something, I still don't know how to stop Word from showing comments when I open a document. I understand how to accept all comments, turn off the review feature, etc. - that's not the problem.

I want every Word document, regardless of who sent it, to open in "final"
mode. I would also like to be able to send Word docs to others in final mode
- is that possible? I am working with non-tech-savvy people who don't
understand how to turn off comments.

Thank you so much for any help...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jen,

No, it is not possible for you to control the 'view' of an incomplete document on everyone else's computer. You can only control
what you see on your computer. 'Final' is your choice of how to see the currently open document, it is not the document itself.

When there are unprocessed (accepted or rejected) temporary[tracked] changes in the document the behavior is for Word to 'remind'
you that you have unresolved issues to deal with.

The choices on the Review tab aren't document states, they're
'would be if' choices for a document that has temporary (tracked) changes.

The 'Original' choice shows how the document 'would be if' you rejected all of the pending tracked changes then saved the document.

The 'Final' choices shows how the document 'would be if' you accepted all of the pending tracked changes and then saved the
document.

You can use a macro to hide that there are pending changes, by masking them with the 'would be if final' choice, but you can't
reliably force the macros to run on everyone else's computer.
============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Orel Tim Orel is offline

What I don't understand is why Microsoft doesn't have a choice to just
configure Word (and the rest of Office 2007, though I primarily use Word) so
that changes just are never tracked period, not from this point on, or not
since I opened the document and turned off tracking changes, but not at any
time in any document. When I create documents, I don't want to wade through
menus to accept changes, delete comments, view in Final format as opposed to
Final Showing Markup, and all the rest of the stuff. I want to create
documents that only know about what's shown on the screen since I last hit
the Save button. If I want to have multiple versions of documents just in
case I want to change something or return to an earlier version, I save the
document in multiple versions, just like I used to before Microsoft decided
for me how I should work.

If I didn't have to read documents in the current version with docx
extensions, I'd be using an older version because Microsoft has decided that
I should have to track all changes even though I don't want to. It's
incredible that there's a way that someone else can go back and turn on some
button on their system so that they can view the changes I've so carefully
edited out, unless I take several steps to prevent this. It would be okay
for Microsoft to allow people to track changes and all that - I do understand
that there are companies that want to or need to track them, but to not offer
an option not to is really frustrating to those of us who don't want to track
changes.

"Jen" wrote in message ...
My company just upgraded to Office 2007, and I cannot find a way to change my default Word setting to show only the final document.
I reviewed all the links and demos mentioned earlier in this discussion, but unless I'm missing something, I still don't know how to
stop Word from showing comments when I open a document. I understand how to accept all comments, turn off the review feature, etc. -
that's not the problem.

I want every Word document, regardless of who sent it, to open in "final"
mode. I would also like to be able to send Word docs to others in final mode
- is that possible? I am working with non-tech-savvy people who don't
understand how to turn off comments.

Thank you so much for any help...
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify, Word does not turn Track Changes on spontaneously. It's only on
if you turn it on. If a document is showing markup, it's because it was
saved that way (perhaps by someone who sent it to you and possibly without
their knowledge). The Reviewing toolbar in earlier versions and Review tab
in Word 2007 are displayed only when a document contains tracked changes or
comments. For an explanation of this in previous versions, see €śReview
Toolbar Annoyance€ť at

http://word.mvps.org

"Jen" wrote in message
My company just upgraded to Office 2007, and I cannot find a way to
change my default Word setting to show only the final document.
I reviewed all the links and demos mentioned earlier in this discussion,
but unless I'm missing something, I still don't know how to
stop Word from showing comments when I open a document. I understand how
to accept all comments, turn off the review feature, etc. -
that's not the problem.

I want every Word document, regardless of who sent it, to open in "final"
mode. I would also like to be able to send Word docs to others in final
mode
- is that possible? I am working with non-tech-savvy people who don't
understand how to turn off comments.

Thank you so much for any help...
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\) Bob  Buckland  ?:-\) is offline

Hi Tim,

You can use Word 2000, 2002 or 2003 to open and save .docX documents by
installing the MS Office Compatibility Pack
http://microsoft.com/downloads/detai...3-c6bb74cd1466
The compatibility pack it won't add the 2007 new feature sets to the older
versions.

You can also read .docX files with the MS Word Viewer
http://microsoft.com/DownLoads/detai...AEC-F827F20CAC

As Suzanne mentioned the tracked changes feature doesn't turn itself on.
What can trigger it is that within the document itself Word detects that
there are date/time listed entries of modifications (i.e. tracking was on,
and it is journalling the details within the document). If you turn off
tracking in a document that is already tracking them it should stop tracking
the forward changes. Do you have steps to reproduce it doing otherwise?

In Word 2007, you can use Office Button=Prepare=Inspect the documet
to 'clean house' in a document, but use it sparingly as the out of the box
version can remove wide groups of items you might want to keep.

In Word 2007 there is, as you're aware, also the
View=Changes=Accept=Accept All changes in document button.
You can right click on that choice and add it to the Quick Access Toolbar,
and you can also do that with the Inspect Document command.

One of the points of the feature is to make it more visible that you may
have changes in the document that aren't finalized that you didn't mean to
have others see. Those 'oops' moments can have a more frustrating effect
than clearing out the items ahead of time. One of the folks here who do
more with macros can probably suggest a macro that would clear track changes
when saving a document as part of the save action.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amin Amin is offline

Valarie,

I copied everthing from the document that had Review on and pasted it in a
brand
new document. This feature has been driving me crazy for the last one month.

I hope this helps.

Amin