Raquel666

Default Can't Name File in "Save As" Dialog Box

Whenever I try to name a file in the save dialog box, the name reverts
to the first letter of the name I attempted to save it in!

There's a lot of other wierd things Word does too.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Can you describe exactly what you're doing? Are you talking about in the
File name: box? Or, are you saying that you're trying to rename a file in
the listing you see? Either way, can you describe exactly what you're doing
so we can try to replicate and figure out what's happening?

Is this something you've done before? Or, are you new to Word and this is
the first time you've attempted to do this?

Also... what version of Word are you using?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Raquel666" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whenever I try to name a file in the save dialog box, the name reverts
to the first letter of the name I attempted to save it in!

There's a lot of other wierd things Word does too.

garfield-n-odie

With Word closed, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to find the
WINWORD.EXE file on your hard drive. Right-click on winword.exe,
then left-click on Properties | Compatibility. If the "Run this
program in compatibility mode" box is checked, uncheck it.

Raquel666 wrote:
Whenever I try to name a file in the save dialog box, the name reverts
to the first letter of the name I attempted to save it in!

There's a lot of other wierd things Word does too.

Raquel666

Great, I think this worked because when I opened a new WORD document
and clicked "save" the chosen name was more than one letter. Previously
the Name could only be one letter.

The easy way to correct it was to right click on the WORD program icon
in the Program menu on the startup bar. For some reason the search
engine, "find files/folders" did not locate WINWORLD.EXE. It located
two other files with "Winword.exe" but the file had wierd numbers etc
following. (What are those funny files for?!)

Thanks. I often wonder why you guys respond to these questions but I
love you for it.

I just got this new computer that runs Windows XP, the compatability
did not provide for XP and was set to WIN98, which was my old program
on the old computer.