Jackie D

Default Table width malfunctioning

Hi

Can anyone help with a strange problem I am having with tables in Word 2003?
I have a table with loads of rows and just two columns. The left column
contains headings and the right contains text. After I modified the style of
the headings (by adding space before and after), the right column suddenly
expanded and disappeared off the page.

Does anyone know why this happened and how I can fix it?
--

Many thanks
JD
Margaret Aldis

Hi Jackie

I don't know what happened but I have also found table width very difficult
to control systematically in 2003. Tables sometimes seem to reposition or
reformat in contradiction to settings.

To fix I'd suggest you use Table Properties to reset table and column
widths, and also turn off "Automatically resize to fit content" (from Table
Properties Options button). It might also be worthwhile looking at Tools
Options Compatibility as I seem to remember "allow tables to extend into
margins" is a difference between Word 2002 and Word 2003 - if you've brought
a document across versions maybe there is a slight formatting argument going
on g.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Jackie D" wrote in message
news
Hi

Can anyone help with a strange problem I am having with tables in Word
2003?
I have a table with loads of rows and just two columns. The left column
contains headings and the right contains text. After I modified the style
of
the headings (by adding space before and after), the right column suddenly
expanded and disappeared off the page.

Does anyone know why this happened and how I can fix it?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D

Hi Margaret

The settings originally didn't have the 'resize' checked but I've just gone
into the Table Properties, as you suggested, and that setting was indeed
checked! Removing the check mark has fixed the problem. But I have no idea
how it got changed. I upgraded from 2000 to 2003. Thanks for the tip though.
All sorted - until next time!
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
news
Hi

Can anyone help with a strange problem I am having with tables in Word
2003?
I have a table with loads of rows and just two columns. The left column
contains headings and the right contains text. After I modified the style
of
the headings (by adding space before and after), the right column suddenly
expanded and disappeared off the page.

Does anyone know why this happened and how I can fix it?
--

Many thanks
JD

Stefan Blom

Note that the "Automatically resize..." option will be turned back on
if you choose to "AutoFit to Window" or "AutoFit to Contents" from the
TableAutoFit sub-menu. Perhaps this is what happened.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP