Phippsy

Default sorting a single column

If I change the sort options in a single field to be separated by anything
such as a full stop or space and then go to sort that field I only get the
option of
using paragraphs and could not sort by the second field first.

In other words if I have a first name and second name in one column. I
cannot sort by second name. I can only sort by the first field first.

eg
Fred Bloggs
Jo Smith
Thanks

Klaus Linke

"Phippsy" wrote:
If I change the sort options in a single field to be separated by anything
such as a full stop or space and then go to sort that field I only get the
option of
using paragraphs and could not sort by the second field first.

In other words if I have a first name and second name in one column. I
cannot sort by second name. I can only sort by the first field first.

eg
Fred Bloggs
Jo Smith
Thanks

Hi Phippsy,

Sort once using paragraphs. That allows Word to analyze the table, and you
should get "Word 1, Word2" as sorting options for another sort. Since that's
quick, I usually do it that way.

BTW, in Word2003 if I open the Options and explicitly enter a space in
"Delimiter Other:", back in the sorting dialog I get the option to sort by
word. Maybe it's something that was fixed in newer versions? Or maybe it
only works if the table is not too complex...
But the first method has always worked for me.

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

I think I must be doing something wrong because I don't get that even
when I try in 2003. I am using a VERY simple table to practice on!

You click on the down arrow where it currently says "with: Paragraphs", and
you don't see "Field 1", "Field 2"?

If the names aren't in a table, do the lines end in paragraph marks?

Else, I'm out of ideas...
You could mail me your sample to look for something funny, but I probably
won't be able to get back to you before next Tuesday.

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

"Phippsy" wrote:
They are in a table and it sounds so simple but no I don't see Field 1
etc. I
would love to send it to you - what is your address?
Thanks
Debbie

Hi Debbie,

You can see my mail addy if you click on my name.
In case that doesn't work for some reason, either

or

:-) Klaus

Klaus Linke

Hi Debbie,

Seems to be caused by the table heading. If you cut the heading row
temporarily before sorting, or add a second word to the table heading above
the names, you can sort by second word.

Never noticed that can be a problem... I guess Word should ignore the table
headings when determining the sort fields!

Regards,
Klaus