Rob

Default Removing Read Only

Hi,

I have a Word document that when opened prompts me with a message
C:\myfile... should be opened as read-only unless changes to it need to be
saved. Open as read-only? Yes No Cancel

If I chose No, and make changes, whenever I open this file albeit I might
even change the name, I receive the same message when ever opened.

Is there a way to remove this prompt? The file doesn't appear as read-only
when looked at in Windows Explorer.

Thanks, Rob

Open up the document in Word.
Do a "Save As" with whatever name you want.
Then delete the original.
Then rename the new file to the old name (assuming you wanted to keep that
name).
Should be fine.

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Word document that when opened prompts me with a message
C:\myfile... should be opened as read-only unless changes to it need to be
saved. Open as read-only? Yes No Cancel

If I chose No, and make changes, whenever I open this file albeit I might
even change the name, I receive the same message when ever opened.

Is there a way to remove this prompt? The file doesn't appear as
read-only when looked at in Windows Explorer.

Thanks, Rob

Tony Jollans

When prompted to open as read-only, say No.
Then do Save As but leave the file name unchanged so it overwrites the
original.
In the Save As dialog click on Tools and then, depending on version, either
"General Options" or "Security Options" and uncheck "Read Only Recommended".
Click on OK to confirm the change, then on Save to save the file without the
recommendation.

--
Enjoy,
Tony