Ros M

Default Pasted row shifts to the left

I am trying to rearrange some rows in my table. When I copy or cut a complete
row, then paste it above a different row, for some reason the whole thing
shifts a few pixels to the left so that it no longer lines up with the rest
of the table. I have the whole table left justified with no indent. I
sometimes am unable to line it up by dragging -- keep missing the spot.

Why is this happening?
Klaus Linke

"Ros M" wrote:
I am trying to rearrange some rows in my table. When I copy or cut a
complete row, then paste it above a different row, for some reason
the whole thing shifts a few pixels to the left so that it no longer lines
up with the rest of the table. I have the whole table left justified with
no indent. I sometimes am unable to line it up by dragging -- keep
missing the spot.

Why is this happening?

Hi Ros,

The left indent is a row property, and somehow your pasted rows acquire a
different indent. I can't say why or how that happens, but I've run into
this too.

You could reset the left indents with a macro pretty easily:

Selection.Tables(1).Rows.LeftIndent=0
to set it to zero, or
Selection.Tables(1).Rows.LeftIndent=Selection.Rows (1).LeftIndent
to set it to the indent of the current row.
(See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm for help with
macros if needed)

If the right "edge" of the table is also ragged, "Table AutoFit to content"
usually fixes that, or switch back and forth between that and "Fixed width".

If you need to rearrange rows often, you might find the keyboard shortcuts
Alt+Shift+Up and Alt+Shift+Down useful for moving rows up and down (works
with one row -- if nothing was selected -- and also with more rows).

Regards,
Klaus

Ros M

Klaus,
Thanks for your suggestion...
I did look at the left indent and both the row and the table are set to 0,
so I don't know why the pasted row has shifted (especially since it was cut
from the same table). This has happened before.

I am using Word 2000, by the way.

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

You could reset the left indents with a macro pretty easily:

Selection.Tables(1).Rows.LeftIndent=0
to set it to zero, or
Selection.Tables(1).Rows.LeftIndent=Selection.Rows (1).LeftIndent
to set it to the indent of the current row.
(See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm for help with
macros if needed)

If the right "edge" of the table is also ragged, "Table AutoFit to content"
usually fixes that, or switch back and forth between that and "Fixed width".

If you need to rearrange rows often, you might find the keyboard shortcuts
Alt+Shift+Up and Alt+Shift+Down useful for moving rows up and down (works
with one row -- if nothing was selected -- and also with more rows).

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

"Ros M" wrote:
Klaus,
Thanks for your suggestion...
I did look at the left indent and both the row and the table are set to 0,
so I don't know why the pasted row has shifted (especially since it was
cut from the same table). This has happened before.

I am using Word 2000, by the way.

The dialog won't tell you the truth (... a bug, I think).
Give the macro a try, if you have the time.

OTOH, if the table can be reformatted easily, it might be faster to convert
the table to text and back.

Regards,
Klaus

Dawn Crosier

Sometimes it helps to "hit the spot", if you hold down the ALT
key while dragging. Although I would definitely add Klaus' macro
to your library.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.