jilldean

Default Problems with autotext in footers

Hi There

I am having a problem with entering autotext in a footer. If you see by
the copied footer I have entered below, it is puting square boxes at the
beginning and end of the footer and it is also leaving the word FILENAME
in the footer aswell as the actual filename. Can you help please?

Thanx

Jill

 FILENAME \p C:\Documents and Settings\cip155\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3\footer test.doc

--
jilldean
jahoobob

jilldean Wrote:
Hi There

I am having a problem with entering autotext in a footer. If you see by
the copied footer I have entered below, it is puting square boxes at the
beginning and end of the footer and it is also leaving the word FILENAME
in the footer aswell as the actual filename. Can you help please?

Thanx

Jill

 FILENAME \p C:\Documents and Settings\cip155\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3\footer test.doc

The boxes usually indicate a character code for which the font being
used doesn't have a character. If you are using Helvetica, switch to
Arial. It is best to use a TrueType font. I think you'll find that
those boxes are brackets {}.
The only other suggestion is to open the footer and insert the
{filename} field code the way you DIDN'T do it before. Since you
indicate you used Autotext, try using Insert from the menu, then
Field..., and then pick Filename from the list. If this doesn't work,
I'm at a loss.

--
jahoobob

macropod

jilldean Wrote:
Hi There

I am having a problem with entering autotext in a footer. If you see by
the copied footer I have entered below, it is puting square boxes at the
beginning and end of the footer and it is also leaving the word FILENAME
in the footer aswell as the actual filename. Can you help please?

Thanx

Jill

 FILENAME \p C:\Documents and Settings\cip155\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3\footer test.doc

Hi Jill,

It looks as if your autotext entry is trying to insert both a FILENAME
field and its result into the footer. I don't know what's causing that,
but you can work around it by:
. selecting the footer,
. pressing Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces,
. typing 'FILENAME \p' between them, then
. pressing F9 to update the field results.

Presumably this is what your autotext entry was trying to automate (via
Insert|Autotext|header/footer|filename and path). Once you get the hang
of it, you'll find the above is just as quick.

Cheers

--
macropod