Neil

Default Style "Heading 1" for Table of Contents

I have a document with a TOC with two heading levels, Heading 1 and Heading
2. Somehow, I no longer have "Heading 1" in my list of styles when I click
the style box pulldown. "Heading 2" is still there.

When I try to create a new style for "Heading 1" it won't let me because
that style already exists or is reserved. (Duh!) But I can't find it, can't
seem to recreate it, and don't know how to restore it.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks.

This is unlikely to be happening in any version before Word 2002, so I'll
assume you have 2002 or 2003. Display the Styles and Formatting task pane
and make sure you have "Styles in use" or "All styles" displayed. If the
task pane is set to "Available styles" and Heading 1 is not available, you
can choose Custom and make it available.

Note, too, that you can always force the Style dropdown to display all
styles (really all, not what the task pane considers all) by pressing Shift
while you click on the arrow.