HT

Default Numbers in table not centering

Word2003
WindowsXP

I have a table with 3 columns. The last column is to have a consecutive
number in it. I click on the numbering in bullets/numbering toolbar button
and it inserts the number slightly to the left with a period. I format the
list number style to center the number without a period. I tell it no tabs,
indents, and center..it doesn't center the number. I removed the center from
the list style and center the column's cells but it still either puts the
number slightly to the left or slightly to the right.

What is the best way of creating a simple number, centered, in a table cell
other than typing it in manually.

ykchanaed

I click the 3 rd column, then centred it with the paragraph centre button,
then number this column.
I found the number very centered to me.

"HT" wrote:

Word2003
WindowsXP

I have a table with 3 columns. The last column is to have a consecutive
number in it. I click on the numbering in bullets/numbering toolbar button
and it inserts the number slightly to the left with a period. I format the
list number style to center the number without a period. I tell it no tabs,
indents, and center..it doesn't center the number. I removed the center from
the list style and center the column's cells but it still either puts the
number slightly to the left or slightly to the right.

What is the best way of creating a simple number, centered, in a table cell
other than typing it in manually.

ykchanaed

you cannot set no tab nor no indent to the numbers.
In this case, Word 2003 will set the tab at 0.85cm (default).
Hence the number including the space to the tab ie. 0.85 cm will be set as a
whole at the centre.
Instead, you assign the smallest possible disatance of the tab and the
indent that is closest to the number.
In that way, the closest distance for two digit numbers is 0.45cm. ( I hav't
try one digit number!)
See if that helps.

"HT" wrote:

Word2003
WindowsXP

I have a table with 3 columns. The last column is to have a consecutive
number in it. I click on the numbering in bullets/numbering toolbar button
and it inserts the number slightly to the left with a period. I format the
list number style to center the number without a period. I tell it no tabs,
indents, and center..it doesn't center the number. I removed the center from
the list style and center the column's cells but it still either puts the
number slightly to the left or slightly to the right.

What is the best way of creating a simple number, centered, in a table cell
other than typing it in manually.

Tony Jollans

Firstly, centre the *paragraph* in the column. Secondly, and I can't quiite
work out the precise behaviour, ...

Format Numbers (without the period) as Centered; Aligned at 1.27 cm (half an
inch); Tab space after -1.27 cm (*minus* half an inch); Indent 0

Providing the column is more than an inch wide this seems to perfectly
centre the numbers.

--
Enjoy,
Tony