chartwell52655

Default Save As and mailmerged documents

How can I get a document to save to a particular directory and as a
particular file name using information from bookmarks or mailmerge data?
Typically, I save docs as s:\business\lastname firstname
filenumber\lastnamefilenumber(docume nt type){date}(author
initials).doc. I can save this collected info into a bookmark or bookmarks,
but I do not know how to get word to default to these locations.

Thanks for any help.
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you want each file to be named based on one of the fields (or a
combination of the fields) in the data source,
here's a method that I have used that involves creating a separate
catalog type mailmerge maindocument which creates a word document containing
a table in each row of which would be your data from the database that you
want to use as the filename.

You first execute that mailmerge, then save that file and close it. Then
execute the mailmerge that you want to create the separate files from and
with the
result of that on the screen, run a macro containing the following code
and when the File open dialog appears, select the file containing the table
created by the first mailmerge

' Throw Away Macro created by Doug Robbins
'
Dim Source As Document, oblist As Document, DocName As Range, DocumentName
As String
Dim i As Long, doctext As Range, target As Document
Set Source = ActiveDocument
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
.Show
End With
Set oblist = ActiveDocument
Counter = 1
For i = 1 To oblist.Tables(1).Rows.Count
Set DocName = oblist.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range
DocName.End = DocName.End - 1

'Change the path in the following command to suit where you want to save
the documents.
DocumentName = "I:\WorkArea\Documentum\" & DocName.Text
Set doctext = Source.Sections(i).Range
doctext.End = doctext.End - 1
Set target = Documents.Add
target.Range.FormattedText = doctext