cannonball

Default macro loading

I use an extensive set of macros for a particular task. When I open an
existing plain text file the macros are gone. I usually go to
tools/macros/organize.. and transfer the four macro files to the new
document. That always seems to work, but if I close the file and reopen it
they are gone again. I do not want to save as a word document because further
processing requires a text only document.
Jay Freedman

cannonball wrote:
I use an extensive set of macros for a particular task. When I open an
existing plain text file the macros are gone. I usually go to
tools/macros/organize.. and transfer the four macro files to the new
document. That always seems to work, but if I close the file and
reopen it they are gone again. I do not want to save as a word
document because further processing requires a text only document.

There is no place in a plain-text file to store any macros -- that's part of
the definition of "plain-text". When you choose that file type in the Save
As dialog, Word throws away anything that isn't text.

Put your macros in a global template, that is, one stored in Word's Startup
folder (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm).
Then the macros will be available in all your documents, including
plain-text ones.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Charles Kenyon

Save your macros in a separate template.
You can load this template as an Add-In when you want to use the macros or
you can attach it to your open document.

txt files, by their nature, cannot hold working macros.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"cannonball" wrote in message
I use an extensive set of macros for a particular task. When I open an
existing plain text file the macros are gone. I usually go to
tools/macros/organize.. and transfer the four macro files to the new
document. That always seems to work, but if I close the file and reopen it
they are gone again. I do not want to save as a word document because
further
processing requires a text only document.

cannonball

thanks for getting right back to me. The macros I'm trying to use are already
in "Normal" but just to make sure I opened the template and saved it in
word's startup then opened one of my text files and they were still not
there. Any other suggestions??

thanks
cb

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

cannonball wrote:
[...]

Jay Freedman

Here are a few things to look at:

- In Tools Templates & Add-Ins, can you see the name of the template
you put in the Startup folder? Does it have a check next to it? If
either answer is no, what is the exact path to the template?

- How did you determine that the macros "weren't there"? Do they show
up in the Tools Macro Macros dialog? Or were you going by some
other method?

- Use File Open to open the template from the Startup folder. Now
open the macro editor, and expand the template's icon in the Project
pane. Can you see the macros? If so, can you run them with F5?

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

cannonball wrote:
[...]

cannonball

I'll try to make myself more clear:

When i open one of the text files (just an ordinary ascii file produced by
an OCR [TextBridge] program), and go to the Add-Inns window, I absolutely see
the Global Listing I am looking forie "Normal", which contains all of the
macros I'm attempting to execute. I know they "weren't there" because if I
press "Alt-C", the centering command {+cl } specific to the type of coded
file I'm creating does not appear. From that point, if I go to
Tools/Macro/Macros, I do indeed see all of the macros listed, and of course I
can invoke (run) them from that listing. However, if I go to the "Organizer"
button, I see on the right side, where it says: "In Normal" the four Macro
groups I use. On the left pane, at the top, it shows the text file in
question eg. 1000020202.001, with no macros listed. At this point, I usually
drag the four sets on the right side to the left side, return to my file and
at that point I can press Alt-c and the code +cl will appear. What I want to
do, is be able to simply call up that file and start coding without having to
load all the Macros as I've just described.

Not to muddy up the waters, but I am also not able to retain my choices for
the Auto text settings.

I have the feeling, I've given you way too much information, as I have a
tendency (albeit unintentional) to obfuscate.

sorry
rc

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

cannonball wrote:
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Again, txt files cannot retain macros. Their nature is to simply be text.

The Alt-C is a keybinding, it also cannot be kept in a .txt file.

AutoText can only be stored in templates.

The Organizer is _never_ going to show macros or toolbars or AutoText in a
newly opened .txt file.

--

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

cannonball wrote:
[...]

Jay Freedman

To add one bit of explanation to what Charles said: When you use the
Organizer to copy the macros into the "document", that happens only in
the active memory. When you save the document again as a .txt file,
Word throws away the copies of the macros that you put in the
document, as it saves only the text.

The keybinding for Alt+C is only in Normal.dot; you haven't done
anything to attach that to the document, but that would be equally
futile because Word would discard it, too, when you save as .txt.

Bottom line: You *cannot* save these things in a .txt file. You could
save them (except for the AutoText) in a .doc file, but that isn't
what you want. Your only valid course is to save them in a global
template so they're always available. And don't name that global
template "Normal.dot", because you already have one of those.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman