cbrit

Default How do I prompt for Document Properties to appear?

I need to set Word to prompt for Properties everytime I open a document. It
used to do this in Word 2000 but it doesn't appear to do it for Word 2003.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Anne Troy

I don't believe this has ever been a feature ON OPEN. However, go to
Tools--Options--Save, and you can check it there.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"cbrit" wrote in message
I need to set Word to prompt for Properties everytime I open a document.
It
used to do this in Word 2000 but it doesn't appear to do it for Word 2003.
Does anyone know how to do this?

cbrit

Thank you for your response. I know it was a feature in Word 2000 as it took
us a while to figure out how to switch it off. However, I already did your
suggestion and it doesn't work. The only time I can get Document Properties
to appear is if I go to File/Properties.

"cbrit" wrote in message
I need to set Word to prompt for Properties everytime I open a document.
It
used to do this in Word 2000 but it doesn't appear to do it for Word 2003.
Does anyone know how to do this?

Charles Kenyon

Anne's suggestion will trigger the document properties dialog when a
document is saved for the first time. Try it again.

Otherwise, you would need an event handler (vba coding) to bring this dialog
up upon creating or opening a document, before the save. Seems like a lot of
trouble. What are you trying to accomplish by bringing them up when a
document is opened?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"cbrit" wrote in message
I need to set Word to prompt for Properties everytime I open a document.
It
used to do this in Word 2000 but it doesn't appear to do it for Word
2003.
Does anyone know how to do this?

cbrit

Thank you. Our company works with a set of master documents that we use on
various projects. When a set of these master documents gets edited we "track
changes" and change the properties to indicate where and when this document
was created and copied. It is not always easy to remember to go to document
properties before closing the document.

I also stand corrected, I should have said save instead of open.

"cbrit" wrote in message
I need to set Word to prompt for Properties everytime I open a document.
It
used to do this in Word 2000 but it doesn't appear to do it for Word
2003.
Does anyone know how to do this?

How to link or embed objects in Word

If you find nothing else, could what you are looking be easily viewed by
reconfiguring the Explorer's Detail view. Right click on the header area in
the Explorer Detail mode, then choose what column headers you want to appear.
Select More... to see all the possible options. With your newly set up
folder open, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and select Apply to all
folders. There is a large list to choose from. It, obviously, would be only
as permanent as your next save. Otherwise, to have an ongoing list, though
simplistic, I think of File, Versions and if that may offer any of what you
are looking for. Naturally, the idea here is to have all the previous
updates at hand, which would show the dates/times and who made the change.
--
madamx