tyectk

Default header margins...help!

imported table from excel.
scrolls through the pages as necessary to create more pages.
header includes top part of table.

do the headers automatically move down as each page goes along? i've set
the 1st page differently so that the 2nd page would line up correctly after
scrolling. but now, i'm onto the 3rd page and the scrolling portion of the
table is set lower. this has seemed to be the case as the pages roll on.
how do i set it so the table starts at the same place on each page?

i guess this might not have anything to do with the header margins, but the
table instead.
CyberTaz

Hello-

I'm not clear on your problem, but I get the impression that you are not
actually dealing with Word Headers (as in Headers & Footers). True Headers
_do not_ move at all.

Do you mean the captions (field names, column headings, etc.) that appear in
the Excel worksheet you're copying? I also don't know what you mean by "the
scrolling portion of the table".

If you can be more exact with what you're copying, how you are "importing"
(Word has no Import command, and there are several techniques for getting
Excel content into a doc), accurate account of what the result is, as well as
what version of Word/Excel, perhaps someone can offer a soluton.

Regards |:)

"tyectk" wrote:

imported table from excel.
scrolls through the pages as necessary to create more pages.
header includes top part of table.

do the headers automatically move down as each page goes along? i've set
the 1st page differently so that the 2nd page would line up correctly after
scrolling. but now, i'm onto the 3rd page and the scrolling portion of the
table is set lower. this has seemed to be the case as the pages roll on.
how do i set it so the table starts at the same place on each page?

i guess this might not have anything to do with the header margins, but the
table instead.

Charles Kenyon

It might have to do with your having any content in a first-page header
compared to a second page header.

Note there are page headers and table headers. They serve similar purposes
but are very different animals.

A table header is one or more rows at the beginning of a table that are
repeated when the table breaks over one or more pages.

It might help if we were sure which kind of header you are talking about.
Not sure what the scrolling part of your table refers to, either.

Finally, which version of Word? Word has changed its table structures in the
last few releases.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"tyectk" wrote in message
imported table from excel.
scrolls through the pages as necessary to create more pages.
header includes top part of table.

do the headers automatically move down as each page goes along? i've set
the 1st page differently so that the 2nd page would line up correctly
after
scrolling. but now, i'm onto the 3rd page and the scrolling portion of
the
table is set lower. this has seemed to be the case as the pages roll on.
how do i set it so the table starts at the same place on each page?

i guess this might not have anything to do with the header margins, but
the
table instead.

tyectk

ok. let me try and clarify a little better. i have a set header. yes, that
doesn't move. but the start of a new page (2nd page and on) moves lower than
what i have the first page set to start at (underneath the header). i have
tried the "first page different" route, but that seems to stop working after
working in the document. i am working with word 2003. i guess it has
nothing to do with the header or the table, but where the pages start in the
layout. the rulers on the side of the page won't let me adjust (manually)
the very top of the page.

i'm sorry for being unclear before. but i think this describes my problem a
bit better. also, pardon me for not completely knowing/using the microsoft
jargon.

thanks!

"tyectk" wrote in message
imported table from excel.
scrolls through the pages as necessary to create more pages.
header includes top part of table.

do the headers automatically move down as each page goes along? i've set
the 1st page differently so that the 2nd page would line up correctly
after
scrolling. but now, i'm onto the 3rd page and the scrolling portion of
the
table is set lower. this has seemed to be the case as the pages roll on.
how do i set it so the table starts at the same place on each page?

i guess this might not have anything to do with the header margins, but
the
table instead.

I'm not sure what point you're at now, but here's the deal:

1. On the Layout tab of Page Setup, check the box for "Different first
page." This gives you a separate First Page Header/Footer.

2. Put your letterhead (or whatever) in the First Page Header.

3. In the Header, put whatever you want on page 2 and beyond.

4. If you want the top margin effectively deeper on the first page, add
space to the First Page Header; if you want the top margin greater on
subsequent pages, add space to the Header. You can add space in various
ways: by adding content, for example, or by adding Space After to the last
paragraph. Some people recommend a table cell or text box, but this is
really not necessary, since Space After will work just as well.

All of this is spelled out at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

"tyectk" wrote in message
imported table from excel.
scrolls through the pages as necessary to create more pages.
header includes top part of table.

do the headers automatically move down as each page goes along? i've

set
the 1st page differently so that the 2nd page would line up correctly
after
scrolling. but now, i'm onto the 3rd page and the scrolling portion

of
the
table is set lower. this has seemed to be the case as the pages roll

on.
how do i set it so the table starts at the same place on each page?

i guess this might not have anything to do with the header margins,

but
the
table instead.

tyectk

Thank you very much for offering, but I cannot send the document for
confidentiality reasons. I have yet to finish inputing the text, so after
that it should be easier to get this thing formatted. Again, thank you!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you would like to send me a sample document, with a description of what
you're trying to achieve, perhaps I can fix it and return it.

"tyectk" wrote in message
i give up!!!