Stan Zukowski

Default Word 2002 options continually reset themselves ~ why?

I routinely change the options for Word 2002 ~ turning off the
autocorrections, increasing the recently used files from 4 to 9, etc.
However, more often than not the options mysteriously reset themselves to
default, and I can't figure out why.

Seems to happen once I close Word entirely and then relaunch it, but I can't
find a pattern. Any thoughts on why this may be happening, and how to get it
to keep my options saved permanently?

I should say the problem has happened for as long as I can remember. I
recently got a new hard drive and reinstalled Office 2002, and the problem
still occurs.

Thanks for any help!

Graham Mayor

Word 2003 does this also - it randomly changes personal preferences. It is,
however, simple enough to force your will upon it by saving the preferred
settings in auto macros.

Record the settings you want in a macro called autonew and duplicate the
content in a macro called autoopen. These will then set the environment for
new and old documents.

You will probably end up with something like:

With Autocorrect
.CorrectInitialCaps = True
.CorrectSentenceCaps = True
.CorrectDays = True
.CorrectCapsLock = True
.ReplaceText = True
.ReplaceTextFromSpellingChecker = True
.CorrectKeyboardSetting = False
.DisplayAutoCorrectOptions = True
.CorrectTableCells = False
End With
With Options
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeApplyHeadings = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeApplyBorders = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeApplyBulletedLists = True
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeApplyNumberedLists = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeApplyTables = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceSymbols = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceOrdinals = True
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceFractions = True
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplacePlainTextEmphasis = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceHyperlinks = True
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeFormatListItemBeginning = False
.AutoFormatAsYouTypeDefineStyles = False
.TabIndentKey = False
End With
RecentFiles.Maximum = 9

Change the true of false entries as required.