Nico

Default bizarre tab stops inserted in table of contents on update - Word 2

I had a TOC that was working fine. Now, when I update it, additional tab
stops get inserted so that the page numbers are no longer right aligned, and
the leading ... disappear. I can clear the additional tab stops in Format |
Tabs..., but when I update again they are reinserted.

I looked at mvps.org, and tried the suggestions (including the macro) from
the article "...update my TOC it acquires unwanted tabs, and I have to press
Ctrl+Q to get rid of them", but this actually worsens the situation, removing
the tab stop at 6.43 inches that seems to be what is required for the TOC to
look right.

Unfortunately I made a number of changes to the document in between the Toc
working properly and not, so I can't narrow down from that direction.

Stefan Blom

Are you using outline numbering with your headings? And is "Follow
number with" (in the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box) set
to "Tab character" for each numbering level/heading style? If so, you
could try the following:

1. For each of the TOC styles, define two tab stops: a
left-aligned one for the text following the outline number and a
right-aligned one at the right margin for the page number. For the
right-aligned tab stop, also specify a leader, if you want one.

2. Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. The TOC field should display
similar to: { TOC \o "1-3" \h }. Don't delete anything already in the
field code, but add the \w switch: { TOC \o "1-3 \h \w }. This forces
Word to pick up tab characters from headings.

3. Update the TOC (and press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes).

Does that make a difference?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP