Tammi

Default Access to Word Table Mail Merge

I have a table in Access that contains a libary number (A.01) and titles
(Timesheets). We're trying to merge this to a Word table in order to print
custom spine inserts. The table is set up so that row one has two columns -
the libary number in the first cell (rotated) and the title in the next cell
to the right. I can get this to work for the first row, but can't get the
remainer of the records/rows to display correctly. If you put next record in
both cells on the next row, it displays incorrectly.
Can someone please tell me how to get this to work. It will save me
retyping about 4000 titles all over again. Please help! Anyone with an
answer can feel free to even call me.
Thanks again for the group's help!
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What type of main document are you using. I have no trouble doing what you
are talking about if I use a directory type main document in which case, you
just need a one row table in which you insert the merge fields.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Tammi" wrote in message
I have a table in Access that contains a libary number (A.01) and titles
(Timesheets). We're trying to merge this to a Word table in order to print
custom spine inserts. The table is set up so that row one has two
columns -
the libary number in the first cell (rotated) and the title in the next
cell
to the right. I can get this to work for the first row, but can't get the
remainer of the records/rows to display correctly. If you put next record
in
both cells on the next row, it displays incorrectly.
Can someone please tell me how to get this to work. It will save me
retyping about 4000 titles all over again. Please help! Anyone with an
answer can feel free to even call me.
Thanks again for the group's help!

Tammi

I am using the directory type main documnet with a one row table. The
problem seems to occur because that one row is split to two cells. The first
cell contains field 1 (Library number (A.01)) rotated text and field 2
(Title) is in the second cell. It doesn't seem to be recognizing the fact
that there are two cells to the one row? I tried putting the next record into
one cell and both cells, buy it still won't merge them properly. Any
suggestions?

"Tammi" wrote in message
I have a table in Access that contains a libary number (A.01) and titles
(Timesheets). We're trying to merge this to a Word table in order to print
custom spine inserts. The table is set up so that row one has two
columns -
the libary number in the first cell (rotated) and the title in the next
cell
to the right. I can get this to work for the first row, but can't get the
remainer of the records/rows to display correctly. If you put next record
in
both cells on the next row, it displays incorrectly.
Can someone please tell me how to get this to work. It will save me
retyping about 4000 titles all over again. Please help! Anyone with an
answer can feel free to even call me.
Thanks again for the group's help!

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

With a directory type mailmerge main document, you do not need any Next
Record Fields.

It works fine for me.

--

"Tammi" wrote in message
[...]

Tammi

Ok .. I might need a little more explanation. I have a sheet of Avery labels
(Spine Index) that are not included in the standard Avery labels. There are
five to a sheet so I can get the merge to work on the first label row, but
not the next four. It will work if I do a sheet of the same label.
Therefore that is why I'm trying to use the Next Record so that the label on
the next row will contain the 2nd record from the database I'm merging with.
Maybe this can't be done?

"Tammi" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

IF you set the main document up as a directory type mailmerge main document,
you do NOT need to use Next Record fields. All you need in the document
is a one row table in which the row height is set to match the labels that
you are using.

The fact that you have two columns in that one row table does not make any
difference and you can change the text direction in one, independent of the
other. When you execute the merge (which in the case of a directory type
mailmerge, MUST be to a new document, it will not merge to anything else),
you will, IF you set the table dimensions, margins, etc correctly, get a
document containing a table with a row for each record in the data set that
can be printed onto your label sheets.

Alternatively, you can create a custom label sheet which will be a five row
x two column table, the dimensions of which match your labels and in that
case, you will need to insert the merge fields in each row of the table with
a Next Record field before the first mergefield in the in the first cell
of the second throught fifth rows.