Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Tangard

Default Msg: Do you ALSO want to save changes to the document template

First, PLEASE understand that (a) this *isn't* about the general message
asking to save changes to Normal.dot, but rather, it's about being asked
to save inexplicable "changes" to OTHER templates when saving documents
based thereon; and (b) this message appears even when NO changes to
styles, customizations, or other standard save-prompt-inducers have been
done. The message is distinguished by the word ALSO, which does not
appear in the more common template-related messages.

I spent a long while Googling this issue & found many other users
perplexed/annoyed by it. I only just started getting it this week and
have these 2 observations:

First, I thought of what might have changed to cause this. We'd done no
Word upgrades for months, and the entire firm is standardized on Word
2003 SP1. And while I use several of my own Word VBA add-ins, none had
changed in many weeks. BUT, I had just installed the free trial of
Adobe Acrobat 7.0. Naturally I suspected it was involved, so I went to
unload it, in the usual way of narrowing down the source of such a problem.

Well, big surprise: Unlike prior Acrobat versions which use a .DOT file
(PDFMaker.dot), Version 7 uses a .DLL, and it doesn't live in the Word
Startup folder. How do you unload a .DLL? How do you even find it?
(There seem to be at least 4 likely culprits.) I realize I could
*uninstall* instead, but given that this is Adobe's free trial, I'm
apprehensive about what fresh troubles a mid-trial uninstall might
create. (Except for this issue, we like Acrobat 7.)

Second: On the presumably small chance it might be one of the other
add-ins interacting with Adobe's, I uninstalled them all intending to
add them back in one by one. But before starting to add them back in, I
went to reproduce the message (maybe, like, to be sure I wasn't
dreaming...?). So this was with Adobe's being the only active add-in.

The message didn't appear! I tried several times, exiting Word,
rebooting, etc. (We're talking 8 or 10 attempts.). All the file for
which I'd seen this message earlier on each dirty-doc save, now saved
without any message appearing!

Argh. So I reloaded my add-ins one by one, testing carefully each time.
The message *never* reappeared.

......until about 2 hours later! In the interim I had done *nothing* but
simple raw typing or pasting from OCR output. I'm sure I hadn't used
even a single macro or tweaked even one style. I had closed and
reopened Word a few times, but that's about it. The message had
returned for any file based on a template other than Normal.

What's going on?!?!

I badly need both Acrobat 7 and my own add-ins to work smoothly and in
the same Word instance, and I'm just about ready to PAY if someone helps
with a lasting solution. (Some who recognize me as a former MVP will
know I'm good for it.) I've posted on the Adobe newsgroups, but as you
may know, the vast majority of posters there are those pleading for
help, not offering it.

If this had happened with prior Acrobats I might've managed by keeping
Adobe's add-in unloaded until needed. I'd be fine with that now if I
could figure out a simple way to unload and reload it.

Thanks to anyone who has read this far.

-----------------------
Mark Tangard
"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Mark,

Graham Mayor has the following on his page at
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm regarding
Acrobat 7's add-in:
///
To prevent the add-in from loading, edit the Windows registry. Locate
the key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins\PDFMaker.OfficeAddin]
and change the subkey called "LoadBehavior" from a value of 3 to 0.
///

Since I don't personally use Acrobat, I can't help any further, but
you can probably get Graham interested in pursuing it. Good luck in
isolating the problem!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:48:04 -0800, Mark Tangard
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Tangard

Yow. Scary stuff. Thanks for this info.

Given the mess, and unless we see a 7.5 that fixes this stuff, I think
we'll wait for 8.0, so I won't mobilize Graham. What a joke Adobe has
become -- every Acrobat version is more audacious and less convenient....

-----------------------

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Hi Mark

I'm watching, but immobile

I agree that Adobe has lost the plot. All it needed to have done was to have
taken the passwords off the add-in for Acrobat 6, and a host of vba
programmers would have fixed it in a trice, but instead they took the
neurotic option and introduced a COM add-in that is harder to crack and
which insinuates itself into the application with complete disregard for the
way the application is supposed to work.

I hear that there is more information to be gleaned from Adobe's own forum,
but frankly life's too short. I am sticking with version 6 until this
debacle is sorted properly.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Tangard

And given that Office 12 will offer native support for PDF creation... eg

Sigh. The one time I'd be looking *forward* to an Office upgrade, and our firm
just announced it plans to stick with 2003 for at least the next 3 years... ;(

Almost as if to demonstrate its Satanic nature, Acrobat 7 committed its final
transgression today: I have extensive customizations to Word's standard menus,
including entire custom submenus. None are all that fancy, most are there just
to keep my mouse appropriately idle & unloved -- border changes, table cell
alignment, etc.

Today I went to use one of them, and the submenu's items had changed to the list
of items normally seen under the Adobe PDF menu!

Needless to say, Acrobat 7 will be permanently uninstalled within the next 10
minutes.

MT

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
And given that Office 12 will offer native support for PDF creation... eg

-- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama
USA Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please
post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.