Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Peyton Todd

Default How can I put a tab inside a table cell?

Hello. I want to have the following in a cell of a Word table:

7: blah blah blah blah blah blah
yada yada yada

However, if I try to add enough spaces to the 'yada yada yada' line to move
it over far enough to line up with 'blah blah blah blah blah blah', Word
simply moves those spaces up to the preceding line, and leaves 'yada yada
yada' justified at the left edge of the table cell.

If I try to set up a tab stop inside the table cell, the little 'L' show up
in the ruler at the top of the page, but I don't know if Word understands
that I intended the tab to be valid inside the cell. In any case, if I press
the tab key Word interprets it in the usual way, as a command to move to the
next cell.

I can find no way to insert a tab via the 'Insert' dialog in the manner
offered by some word processors, which let you insert, e.g. '\t'. The 'Insert
-- Symbol dialog does offer a little 'HT' symbol, which would appear to
stand for 'horizontal tab'; but when you insert that, you get little bitty
letters 'HT' appearing, not an actual tab!

Help!

Thanks,
--
Peyton Todd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use Ctrl+Tab to insert a tap space inside a table cell.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP