Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mockingbirdbat

Default Disregard the fit I was having.

Ok get this: So I thought I knew what I was doing at least with regard to
normal.dot. I believed I knew what it was the boss of. But I had no real
idea what NORMAL.DOT is all about, not really. Basically, it appears to be
King of S**t Mountain. You guys might laugh, but all of the super irritating
problems below I accidentally brought on myself by switching the "user
templates" default location folder. I did this in an effort to get Word to
see the "journal" template I'd tried to make -- the one with no formatting.
When I turned off Word and then opened it again, it made a new normal.dot of
its own, with none of the fancy whistles I'd just made, and of course it left
all my macros behind in the old normal.dot.

Now, all of this makes sense to me except the part where normal.dot is where
toolbar/button configurations are also kept. Did you all know that? What is
that about? Is that even ok?

Why does Word not have some bigass warning popop or something when you go to
retardedly change the default user template location? Like, "Hey jackass!
If you do that, you'll lose all your custom Word configurations unless you
backup normal.dot and put it in that other folder, because Word's too stupid
to bring it along for you."

Is it just me?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Because some people would have their knickers in a twist if a popup window
in a software program called them a jackass?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Mockingbirdbat" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Almost everything that you do with a computer, except for perhaps depressing
the Shift key alone, causes something to happen. Where would you draw the
line about warning people about what was going to happen?

You press the 'a' key 'Hey Jackass this will insert an 'a' at the location
of the cursor. Are you sure that you really want to do this?'

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mockingbirdbat

Wow. I hope you're kidding, because otherwise I might think you were being
patronizing.

I"m also going to assume your questions (below) are rhetorical, and are just
part of the "joke."

Just in case I'm wrong, though -- will someone please let me know if I'm not
in the right forum? Because I"m looking for the one where people who use the
word processing program MS Word meet and talk about problems/solutions
related to working with said program, and have *discussions* based on their
experiences.

Thanks to all others who responded to last night's semi-hysterical posts.
I'm not usually so easily confused or frustrated, but I'm sure this is *not*
the forum where you talk about why your personal problems are keeping you
awake at 3 in the morning.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mockingbirdbat

Not me. I'd rather get busted before I accidentally make some kind of crazy,
global change in a program, than spend hours afterward trying to figure out
what I did so I can fix it.

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could turn on "jackass function" in a program
when you need to, and then turn it off when you've got the hang of it? Like
a boot camp for learning the program fast and hard.

I know - some people call this a "tutorial."

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

It's an amusing thought but I find that a lot of people don't always
appreciate my sense of humor.

(You should hear my great idea on how to stop shoplifters.)

--

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mockingbirdbat

Oh please -- I want to hear your idea. I find that people whose senses of
humor are often misunderstood are usually the people that can make me laugh
the hardest.

Where's the "Totally Irrelevant to Office or Even Really Computers for That
Matter Discussion Forum"?

--KK

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Those little sensors that (sometimes but not always) set off the alarms at
the store door need to emit a strong enough jolt to drop the thief right on
the spot. Non-lethal, you understand, but enough to drop them. I guarantee
you that shoplifters would stop stealing, clerks would make sure the tags
were removed, and the honest customer would double-check for those tags.

Some killjoy always mentions pacemakers (if you have one, you shouldn't be
stealing!) and lawsuits. I still maintain that my idea would work. ;-)

As for that "TITOOERCFTM" newsgroup, I don't know. I think that why blogs
were invented.