cuencadillo

Default Can I add additional pages after my endnotes in one document?

I have endnotes at the end of my paper, but I still want to include a works
cited page AFTER my endnotes, is there a way that I can do this? I've tried
the insert page break option to no avail, and have tried hitting return until
I get a new page, but I need to be able to format it like a normal page. How
can I include a page after my endnotes without making it a seperate document?
Any suggestions?

There is a trick to doing this, and it is entirely unobvious. Instead of
setting your endnotes to be at the end of the document (which is
non-negotiable--Word really means the *end* of the document), you need to
set them to be at the end of the section. Then, in each section before the
one where you want the endnotes to be collected, go to the Layout tab of
Page Setup and, making sure that "This section" is selected for "Apply to,"
check the box for "Suppress endnotes."

"cuencadillo" wrote in message
I have endnotes at the end of my paper, but I still want to include a

works
cited page AFTER my endnotes, is there a way that I can do this? I've

tried
the insert page break option to no avail, and have tried hitting return

until
I get a new page, but I need to be able to format it like a normal page.

How
can I include a page after my endnotes without making it a seperate

document?
Any suggestions?

cuencadillo

Well, now I tried to do that... FilePage SetupLayout.... and it gives me 5
options on the "supress endnotes" section: "Continuous, New Column, New Page,
Even Page, Odd Page." No matter which of those settings I select, the
"supress endnotes" box remains grey and I cannot highlight it. I tried going
back and highlighting the text of my document with the end notes in it, and
then doing it and that did not work either. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Daiya Mitchell

Do you actually have any section breaks in your document?

Here's one way to do this. Switch into Normal View so that you can
temporarily ignore the endnotes. In your main text, use Insert | Break,
Section Break (Next Page) to insert a section break after the end of your
main text. Type your Works Cited page (at least the title) after the
section break.

Set the notes to "end of section" by using Insert | Footnote or Insert |
Reference, depending on version. Post back if you don't know how to do
this.

If the section break between the main text and works cited is the only
section break in your doc, you should be done.

If you have other section breaks, go back to the Layout dialog and check the
"suppress endnotes" box. Apply it to the whole document. Then go to the
last section before the Works Cited section, leave the cursor there, go back
to the Layout dialog, and uncheck the "suppress endnotes" box.

Switch back into Page Layout and see what you got.

If you have problems, tell us exactly which step gave you difficulties.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/