Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ifliped

Default I can't select and drag fieldss in MS word any more.

I can't select and drag fields in MS word any more. When I add a field such
as the date, no border appears. When I select it it only turns grey as if
I've highlighted it..
I've opened old files with frames and this problem isn't there so I think I
must have changed a setting somewhere! Any idea what Iv'e done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ifliped

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds to me as if you're confusing fields and frames. What exactly are
you trying to do?

If I insert a page number in the footer I can't drag on it.. I used to be
able to see a border around the page number and drag it to a new position. I
can't do that any more, it just highlights the page number instead.

I've opened old files and imported old page number fields/frames (sorry not
sure which) and then it works but if I try to put a new one in it won't let
me drag..
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luc

Ifliped,
If you insert your page number using Insert - pagenumbers then it will still
have a border as you call it. And you can drag it, in general we do not
recommend this method of inserting owing to the lack of control, you would
be better of inserting your numbering using the numbering button in the
header and footer taskbar. Tabs can give you control over the placement of
the number. Either you use the tabs already available (center and right tab)
or you put in your own tab.
Luc

"Ifliped" schreef in bericht
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds to me as if you're confusing fields and frames. What exactly
are
you trying to do?

If I insert a page number in the footer I can't drag on it.. I used to be
able to see a border around the page number and drag it to a new position.
can't do that any more, it just highlights the page number instead.

I've opened old files and imported old page number fields/frames (sorry
not
sure which) and then it works but if I try to put a new one in it won't
let
me drag..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ifliped

Thanks Luc that works..
The reason I want to drag it is because I want the page numbers to be at the
side of the page in the right hand margin. Tab doesn't work for that!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luc

Ifliped,
No need for a frame. You can always have a negative indent to place your
page number in the left margin or drag your tab in the right margin, works
all the time.
Luc
"Ifliped" schreef in bericht
news