David Viewing

Default graphics moved outside margins

Hi

I have a document of 160 pages with 200 pictures. Whenever I edit, Word
places at least one picture outside the page margin and the printable area
of the printer, either at the top or bottom of the page.

The images are 'float over text' and linked to paragraphs, which obviously
move about during edits. I appreciate that the pictures are in a graphics
layer.

Is there any way that I can force Word to keep the images within the text
(or any other) margins so that I don't have to search the entire document
every time I edit it looking for misplaced pictures?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi David,

I have a document of 160 pages with 200 pictures. Whenever I edit, Word
places at least one picture outside the page margin and the printable area
of the printer, either at the top or bottom of the page.

You mean they're still visible, just "hanging over" where you'd want/need
them to be? Yes, I've seen this before; never found a really good way around
the problem, though. What I've never tried, but might work, would be to put
the graphic in a single-celled table, set that to "float", and see if it
doesn't respect the margins a bit better.

Of course, you can only do this in versions of Word where text wrap around
tables is supported. Unfortunately, you don't mention which you're using...

The images are 'float over text' and linked to paragraphs, which obviously
move about during edits. I appreciate that the pictures are in a graphics
layer.

Is there any way that I can force Word to keep the images within the text
(or any other) margins so that I don't have to search the entire document
every time I edit it looking for misplaced pictures?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

David Viewing

Many thanks for the reply Cindy

I've used every version from 97 to XP with the same problem. Microsoft just
pretend they can't hear the question when I ask them about it. It's
astonishing that such a fundamental, and serious, problem should be allowed
to continue in the 'World's leading word processor'.
Anyway, the pictures are still visible, but often on a different page to
the paragraph they are anchored to, or at the extreme top of a page where
they had been at the bottom.
Interestingly StarOffice behaves properly with the same document, but has
plenty of other problems that kept me from using it.

I was just hoping someone could tell me it's my fault, and how to do the job
properly...

David
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi David,

[...]

Graphics should not (I'm tempted to say "cannot") appear on a different page
from the paragraph to which they're anchored, so it would appear that the
anchor is moving. If you lock the anchor and define the position of the
graphic relative to the page, does that help?

or