Heidi

Default empty header disappears

We are using Word 2002 and have created our own normal.dot - it has been
working fine, except now when opening a word document, there is a return in
the header which causes the text to drop down by 0.7 cm.

If you go into Print Preview (or view the header/foooter and then close),
the header disappears and the text goes back to its original position.

We have tested this with the Word generic normal.dot and the header acts
this way also, except that the text stays in the same position. HELP.....

Well, to begin with, you can't create your own Normal.dot. Only Word can do
that (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm). And
adding a header of any kind to Normal.dot is *not* recommended, especially
in Word 2002.

"Heidi" wrote in message
We are using Word 2002 and have created our own normal.dot - it has been
working fine, except now when opening a word document, there is a return

in
the header which causes the text to drop down by 0.7 cm.

If you go into Print Preview (or view the header/foooter and then close),
the header disappears and the text goes back to its original position.

We have tested this with the Word generic normal.dot and the header acts
this way also, except that the text stays in the same position. HELP.....

Heidi

Suzanne, sorry I used the wrong terminology, we "customised" Normal.dot. We
have not added a header, a header with a return appears when we open
documents. As I said, when we go into Print Preview or go into the
Header/Footer area and then close, the paragraph marker in the header
disappears again, repositioning the text.

"Heidi" wrote in message
We are using Word 2002 and have created our own normal.dot - it has been
working fine, except now when opening a word document, there is a return

in
the header which causes the text to drop down by 0.7 cm.

If you go into Print Preview (or view the header/foooter and then close),
the header disappears and the text goes back to its original position.

We have tested this with the Word generic normal.dot and the header acts
this way also, except that the text stays in the same position. HELP.....

Since switching to Print Preview updates fields, I'm wondering if there's a
field of some sort in the header that's doing something odd. For example, a
{ PAGE } field that's gotten a paragraph break in it or something. See what
happens when you copy all but the last paragraph of the document and paste
it into a fresh document. Of course, if the problem is in Normal.dot, that
won't have any effect, but you might try this after starting Word with the
/a switch.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, to begin with, you can't create your own Normal.dot. Only Word can

do
that (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm).

And
adding a header of any kind to Normal.dot is *not* recommended,

especially
in Word 2002.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.