Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David

Default Table Of Contentas

Hi There,

I think I have been hoisted by my own petard. I am using a template
manual.dot. which on template printing shows Chapter headings etc. All very
nice. However when I use template as a doc and rebulid toc the toc comes out
with hdg1 2 3 etc. I try changing the toc structure but it always seems to
change back and my toc is corrupted. Also the chapter section style alwayds
sems to be first? and again when I delete it always seems to re-appear. In
the tools I have tried changing templates etc but to no avail. The attached
tem,plates are normal and manual.dot. I would really appreciate any help..

Best Regards david
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are a few problems here. You can't use a template as a document; you
create a document based on a template. And that document cannot have more
than one attached template. If you completely delete the TOC and insert a
fresh one, you should be able to include whatever styles you want. Once you
have a TOC that works, you don't ever replace it, just update it using F9.
Note that you cannot edit the TOC directly, as your efforts will be undone
when you update the TOC. You must modify the TOC styles (to change the
formatting) and the headings in the document (to change the content). See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

"David" David @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
Hi There,

I think I have been hoisted by my own petard. I am using a template
manual.dot. which on template printing shows Chapter headings etc. All

very
nice. However when I use template as a doc and rebulid toc the toc comes

out
with hdg1 2 3 etc. I try changing the toc structure but it always seems to
change back and my toc is corrupted. Also the chapter section style

alwayds
sems to be first? and again when I delete it always seems to re-appear. In
the tools I have tried changing templates etc but to no avail. The

attached
tem,plates are normal and manual.dot. I would really appreciate any help..

Best Regards david

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for this , much appreciated. I opened template and then saved as .doc
(okay?). I will delete attached normal.dot and attach manual.dot (?),
delete toc and try again.

Many Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In most versions of Word you cannot open a template (.dot) file and save it
as a document. I believe this may be possible in Word 2003, though it's not
really recommended. The preferred way to create a document based on a
template is to use File New. Double-clicking on a template in Windows
Explorer also runs the New command. If when you "open" the template, the
result is "Document#" in the title bar, then you're okay; if it's the
template name, go back and do it right.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There are a few problems here. You can't use a template as a document;

you
create a document based on a template. And that document cannot have

more
than one attached template. If you completely delete the TOC and insert

fresh one, you should be able to include whatever styles you want. Once

you
have a TOC that works, you don't ever replace it, just update it using

F9.
Note that you cannot edit the TOC directly, as your efforts will be

undone
when you update the TOC. You must modify the TOC styles (to change the
formatting) and the headings in the document (to change the content).

See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David

All works now!! - Thanks a lot saved me loads of hassle. Your'e right word
2003 allows dot to doc. ps: TOC is now fine. but I would like it to be
columns across page but selecting toc2 does not seem to do the trick -- can I
impose further for this info..

Cheers - david.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If by "columns across the page" you mean that you would like the TOC to be
in double columns, then format the section as two columns before inserting
the TOC; I think it will conform. If by chance it does not, you can change
the right tab setting in each of the relevant TOC styles, though accessing
the styles to modify them is often easier said than done.

You get one chance to Modify... when you're initially setting up the TOC.
After that, you can use the Styles and Formatting task pane if your TOC
entries are not hyperlinked (except for the page number); if they are, the
style displayed for "Formatting of selected text" is Hyperlink, which is no
help.

If that's the case, you have to select "Custom" for the "Show" setting. This
opens the Format Settings dialog. Click Styles... at the bottom of it to
open the Style dialog, select the relevant TOC style, then click Modify...,
Format, Tabs, etc.

"David" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for this , much appreciated. I opened template and then saved

as
..doc
(okay?). I will delete attached normal.dot and attach manual.dot

(?),
delete toc and try again.

Many Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jack Jack is offline

Another trick that I've found for Modifying the TOC styles is:
- First Show Paragraph Marks (I have learned to run with this on all the time)
- Open the Styles and Formatting pane
- Select the paragraph mark for the TOC level you want to modify
- TOC Style should appear in the Formatting of Selected Text
- Find the drop-down next to this and select modify

With the insertion point in the text of the TOC item, you get the Hyperlink
style, as Suzanne indicated. If you select just the paragraph mark, you
should be able to modify the TOC style.

I've found TOC to be particularly troublesome for users who are new to
Styles. I wish there was an easier way to work with them as they are very
useful.
--
Jack Rumple

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]