Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl

Default Table of Contents picking up "normal" text

My table of contents is picking up the first line of my title page, which is
in "normal" style, not a "heading" style. Why is it doing this, and how can
I get it to quit doing this?

I am using Word 2003 on a MS Windows 2000 system.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you sure it is formatted with Normal style and not, say, Title or a
heading style? If you have not disabled "Define styles based on your
formatting," there's a good chance Word has applied some other style based
on your formatting. In the TOC Options dialog, make sure that there is no
number beside Normal.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
My table of contents is picking up the first line of my title page, which

is
in "normal" style, not a "heading" style. Why is it doing this, and how

can
I get it to quit doing this?

I am using Word 2003 on a MS Windows 2000 system.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The formatting for the line in question is
"Normal + Centered, Befo 2 pt, After: 2 pt, Line spacing: Exactly 11 pt"

I checked the Table of Contents options and "Styles" and "Outline Levels"
are checked, and the only things that have numbers are Heading 1, Heading 2,
Heading 3, Heading 4, Heading Appendix (all of which I probably creating
according to an article I read on this forum several months ago), and Style
Heading Appendix. Normal definitely does NOT have a number after it.

Cheryl

"Cheryl" wrote in message
My table of contents is picking up the first line of my title page, which

is
in "normal" style, not a "heading" style. Why is it doing this, and how

can
I get it to quit doing this?

I am using Word 2003 on a MS Windows 2000 system.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case, I have no explanation, but you might try disabling "Outline
levels" because there's a good chance Word has assigned an outline level to
your formatting (as you would see if you displayed the Document Map).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you sure it is formatted with Normal style and not, say, Title or a
heading style? If you have not disabled "Define styles based on your
formatting," there's a good chance Word has applied some other style

based
on your formatting. In the TOC Options dialog, make sure that there is

no
number beside Normal.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
My table of contents is picking up the first line of my title page,

which
is
in "normal" style, not a "heading" style. Why is it doing this, and

how
can
I get it to quit doing this?

I am using Word 2003 on a MS Windows 2000 system.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl

That worked! I'm going to have to learn more about this Document Map and how
to use it to debug problems... Thanks for your help.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
My table of contents is picking up the first line of my title page,

which
is
in "normal" style, not a "heading" style. Why is it doing this, and

how
can
I get it to quit doing this?

I am using Word 2003 on a MS Windows 2000 system.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

The Document Map may have caused the problem. See he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/DocumentMap.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Kathy Miiller Kathy Miiller is offline
Junior Member

I can't seem to disable "Outline Levels." Where is this setting in Word 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post