Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stup88

Default sqaushed text to the left

We have office 2003 and word 2003, print driver is hp 2420 pcl 6.

I have tried to change drivers but doesn't seem to fix.. I have tried
1. Close Word.
2. Cleanup and delete all left over
Word temp files using Start=Search and the
search string of
~$*.*;*.tmp

3. Restart Word and open the same document you were
working on.
doesn't work.

has there been a fix for this or does anyone know how to fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I know I've seen this issue before. Check the archives of this group.

(FWIW, this very thing happened to my boss on Thursday. He exited Word and
reopened the file. It was fine.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"stup88" wrote:

We have office 2003 and word 2003, print driver is hp 2420 pcl 6.

I have tried to change drivers but doesn't seem to fix.. I have tried
1. Close Word.
2. Cleanup and delete all left over
Word temp files using Start=Search and the
search string of
~$*.*;*.tmp

3. Restart Word and open the same document you were
working on.
doesn't work.

has there been a fix for this or does anyone know how to fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The lastest hp drivers are at http://www.hp.com/pond/ljbeta/
According to contributor Bob Buckland: "It's a bug that somehow seems to
have Word misreading temporary files related to the printer currently in
use. You can usually 'unscramble' the display from File=Print and switch
to the printer properties or to another printer then your normal one, or
close Word and delete all files found on Start=Search and looking for
~$*.*;*.tmp as the name string then restarting Word." See also
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

stup88 wrote:
We have office 2003 and word 2003, print driver is hp 2420 pcl 6.

I have tried to change drivers but doesn't seem to fix.. I have tried
1. Close Word.
2. Cleanup and delete all left over
Word temp files using Start=Search and the
search string of
~$*.*;*.tmp

3. Restart Word and open the same document you were
working on.
doesn't work.

has there been a fix for this or does anyone know how to fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stup88

This is with more then one word document.. and yes you can close word and
reopen the document and it usually fix's it.. but there should be a better
solution.

We are currently using the most recent printer drivers. and have a end user
clean out temp files every time this happens is alot to ask..

does anyone know if MS has a fix ?

stup88 wrote:
We have office 2003 and word 2003, print driver is hp 2420 pcl 6.

I have tried to change drivers but doesn't seem to fix.. I have tried
1. Close Word.
2. Cleanup and delete all left over
Word temp files using Start=Search and the
search string of
~$*.*;*.tmp

3. Restart Word and open the same document you were
working on.
doesn't work.

has there been a fix for this or does anyone know how to fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

At present there isn't a Microsoft 'fix' for this. There are a number of variables that haven't been sorted out yet from the folks
who have reported the problem.

What version of Windows are you using? What is the update (build) level for MS Word in Help=About?

Do you have any add-ins installed in Word (Tools=Templates and Addins)?

Have you installed any new software or any software updates recently?

Are you working only on local drives or do you have documents stored on network drives? If on networked drives did you clear out
the temp files on all attached drives?

Are you saying that none of the steps you listed below fixed the problem (even temporarily) and it's happening with more than one
document? Did use File=Print, switching drivers to another printer (include PDF Printer) then back then [Close] without printing
do anything?

================
"stup88" wrote in message news I would also like to add.. it happens even when printing to the adobe pdf
printer

"stup88" wrote:

We have office 2003 and word 2003, print driver is hp 2420 pcl 6.

I have tried to change drivers but doesn't seem to fix.. I have tried
1. Close Word.
2. Cleanup and delete all left over
Word temp files using Start=Search and the
search string of
~$*.*;*.tmp

3. Restart Word and open the same document you were
working on.
doesn't work.

has there been a fix for this or does anyone know how to fix this.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stup88

Windows we are on xp sp2 with current patches.
Word we are using 11.6568.6568 sp2

It seems that since we did the OS updates more people are reporting the
problem.

We have one global template we use for hot keys.

Most documents are on the network.. I have not checked the network drive for
temp files.. I assume I would use the same approach and search for
~$*.*;*.tmp ,

I did the temp files on the local drive and that did not help a user at all.
Switching printers didn't do anything either...

It happens with lots of documents and now more people ..

"stup88" wrote:

We have office 2003 and word 2003, print driver is hp 2420 pcl 6.

I have tried to change drivers but doesn't seem to fix.. I have tried
1. Close Word.
2. Cleanup and delete all left over
Word temp files using Start=Search and the
search string of
~$*.*;*.tmp

3. Restart Word and open the same document you were
working on.
doesn't work.

has there been a fix for this or does anyone know how to fix this.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Stup88,

Yes, do search for the temp files using the same search string and check both the location and dates of the files found.

Usually switching printers and back does work. The problem isn't file specific, but can be template or add in related (i.e.
leftover temp files or printer spooler files) as the template or add-in will affect a Word session rather than particular documents.

If you start Word in Office safe mode (hold ctrl key while starting Word) does switching printers work?

What antivirus and firewall product are you using?

==========
"stup88" wrote in message ...
Windows we are on xp sp2 with current patches.
Word we are using 11.6568.6568 sp2

It seems that since we did the OS updates more people are reporting the
problem.

We have one global template we use for hot keys.

Most documents are on the network.. I have not checked the network drive for
temp files.. I assume I would use the same approach and search for
~$*.*;*.tmp ,

I did the temp files on the local drive and that did not help a user at all.
Switching printers didn't do anything either...

It happens with lots of documents and now more people ..
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stup88

Bob,

I will check the network for the temp files.. if thats the case that would
make sense .. cause everyone use's the same .dot file for auto text.

we use NAV 9.0 and windows firewall on each PC.

"stup88" wrote in message ...
Windows we are on xp sp2 with current patches.
Word we are using 11.6568.6568 sp2

It seems that since we did the OS updates more people are reporting the
problem.

We have one global template we use for hot keys.

Most documents are on the network.. I have not checked the network drive for
temp files.. I assume I would use the same approach and search for
~$*.*;*.tmp ,

I did the temp files on the local drive and that did not help a user at all.
Switching printers didn't do anything either...

It happens with lots of documents and now more people ..
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Header with picture or text box Scott Page Layout 15 April 28th 23 02:52 AM
Text entered flows top to bottom, not left to right Aurel Zidaru Page Layout 5 November 24th 05 03:46 PM
How do I remove the text box on left? marketing@tristatehand Microsoft Word Help 5 April 4th 05 04:44 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
To flow text continiously in left column of the next page reji Microsoft Word Help 3 December 24th 04 03:11 PM